5 Desserts To Try While In Chicago

5 Desserts To Try While In Chicago

Those 10 pounds you might gain are totally worth it, I promise.

20
5 Desserts To Try While In Chicago
Kristine Byrum

I was lucky enough to have spent this past week in the Windy City, formally known as Chicago. My best friend and I spent the days walking the city streets, exploring attractions such as the Navy Pier, the SkyDeck of Willis Tower and Millennium Park, and eating some of the most traditional foods Chicago is best known for, such as the deep-dish pizza from Giordano's. But I have to say, what I enjoyed the most is the unique, delicious desserts that we stumbled upon while wandering each day.

Having recently returned, I wanted to write an article on my top five favorite desserts I enjoyed while in the city. I believe anyone traveling there should definitely check out for themselves.

1. "Ocean Beach" from Ghirardelli.

This is hands down one of the best sundaes I've ever tasted. A sea salt and caramel sundae with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge, topped with a piece of Ghirardelli's signature milk chocolate squares is perfect for a hot night during the summer. There are plenty of other choices on the menu that look equally as delicious too, so If you're ever in Chicago, I highly recommend a trip to the Ghirardelli Shop.

2. The "Donut Ice Cream Sandwich" from Firecakes Donuts.

Yes, to answer your question, that is in fact ice cream embedded between glazed donuts. Genius right? Considering this dessert combined two of my favorite things, how could it not be my favorite from the trip? This little shop offers many different kinds of donuts, but I recommend the donut ice cream sandwich if you ever get the chance to stop in. I mean... how many other donut shops do that? None that I've been to at least. Be careful though, it melts super fast. Although, I'm sure you'll have no problem finishing it quickly because it is just that good.

3. The "Cinnamon Sugar Cupcake" from Sprinkles Cupcake ATM.

I guess ATM's really aren't just for money because in Chicago cupcakes pop out of them! Just chose the flavor you want on the touch screen and Voila! the machine does the work and out comes your cupcake. There are so many flavors to chose from and they rotate depending on what is being baked that week. Having read about the said cupcake ATM before my trip, I knew I had to see it for myself. Along with the ATM, Sprinkles is a little shop that you can go in as well. They even make cupcakes for your dog! I definitely recommend visiting this place not only for the delicious cupcake, but for the atmosphere as well.

4. The "Garrett Mix" from Garrett Popcorn.

Probably one of the most popular foods Chicago is known for, Garrett Popcorn blows all other popcorn out of the water. The Garrett Mix is the original recipe that is a combination of CaramelCrisp and CheeseCorn. If you've never tried this gourmet popcorn before, I suggest trying this original mix, but (as I found out) if you are craving some more another day, try some of their other flavors! I was lucky enough to be able to try their Seasonal "Simply Strawberry" flavor which was incredible. Garrett Popcorn always has something seasonal made, so don't hesitate to order more than one bag! This also makes for a tasty gift for someone back home.

5. The "Original Rainbow Cone" located at Navy Pier.

I literally ate this monstrous cone in about five minutes, and it wasn't because it was melting super fast but rather because it was one of the most refreshing things I've ever tasted. Established in 1926, the Rainbow Cone has been a tradition to Chicago. The layers from bottom to top consist of: chocolate, strawberry, vanilla with cherries and walnuts, pistachio, all topped off with orange sherbet. Their new location is in Navy Pier, one of the most renowned places to visit while in the city. So if you do find yourself in Chicago one day, I undoubtedly believe the rainbow cone is a must have. Plus, Navy Pier offers a great view to enjoy it with!

Chicago is a beautiful city famous for many different things. For me, I loved experiencing the tradition and history of the city through the food. And if you ever do have the chance to visit, don't even think twice about it.