5 Cheap And Easy Ways To Stay Connected In Real Life

We're broke and in love right?

10
snailmaillove.com

Life happens, and friends and families move. People leave your hometown to go to college, pursue careers, start families, travel the world, and now with social media, we have even more ways to stay "connected." I can like your Instagrams, Facebook photos, watch your snapstory, retweet you, and reblog your tumblr posts. However, social media only exists on the internet and just because I liked your graduation photo, shared the article you published, or sent a birthday text- doesn't mean that we are connected. Social Media and the internet can make people feel even more lonely, far away and disconnected. I've moved states, traveled around the country, had long distance relatives, and have had a lover overseas. Maintaining contact is so important, so here are a few easy and cheap ways to stay connect in real life.

1. Video Calls

Skype, Facetime, and Oovoo are all great ways to utilize the technology we have today to maintain face to face contact while friends and family are away. Even Facebook offers video chats now as do many other messaging apps. There's something about seeing someone's face, hearing them laugh, and being able to see where they are that makes a video call so much better than a snap chat or text.

2. Long Distance Messaging Apps

Facebook of course has paved new ways with their messenger app even installing a voice and video feature. However, some people don't like Facebook, and I don't blame them. It's addicting and takes forever to load depending on your connection. When I had a special friend overseas, we used Viber which allows you to message, send pictures, and call even if your cell phones are incompatible. I've also heard great things about What's App which is a free messaging app available for iPhones and androids. iMessaging for iPhones will also work even if your phone is turned off as long as you have an internet connection!

3. Music

My good friend went through a bad breakup lately, and I made him three Spotify playlists. I made him one with my favorite songs to introduce him to what I was listening to, a f*** you playlist, and a cry it out kind of playlist. He absolutely loved it. He may be across the country from me, but he gave me his Spotify login and I made him the playlists in a day or two. You can always go back and add to the playlists. He followed up with a thank you phone call where we talked about his favorite songs and music styles on the playlists and just checked in with each other. You can also log into someone's Pandora, I Heart Radio, Apple Music, iTunes or Zune account and create playlists or stations for them. The power of music knows no bounds and with all of today's technology, it knows no distance either.

4. Snail Mail

Snail Mail is alive and well. In my purse right now, you can find a pouch with envelopes, stamps, pens, stickers, and a notebook. The post office is open for business and there's nothing that makes me happier than a letter arriving in the mail. I write to my incarcerated friends once or twice a week if I can. I send letters about my days, politics, my family, the weather, the city I live in, updates on my son, different events I've attended or worked, and what my future plans are. Incarcerated persons often are not allowed access to news so they don't know what's changing in the outside world. I love receiving one back with stories about their days, doodles, and dreams for once they're released. I send femora like event flyers, stickers, small art prints, little notes, and stick figure drawings. This kind of handmade art in the mail means so much to whoever's receiving it. I sent a care package with snacks, poems, koozies, tea, candles, and letters when a friend endured a heartbreak. I recently sent a series of letters to out of state family members asking for photos, recipes, family stories, and a family tree with updates about my life and future plans. Letters mean so much more than a text or Facebook message and are keepsakes that you can use for future art projects. I normally just rip out a few pages from my notebook and write and send whatever else can fit in the envelope along with it. If it's for my older relatives or I write too sloppy, I type it. If typing a letter sounds odd to you, then you can text it to your email and simply print it out and mail it and of course feel free to decorate the letter or add pictures. I've also sent my cousins in college boring necessities like condoms and laundry detergents. The cheapest way to do this is going right to a U.S. Post office because places like U.P.S. and Fed Ex charge you sometimes double what the post office would.

5. Delivery

This may sound odd- but technology is truly amazing. Freshmen year in college, a friend of mine mass texted us all asking for help carrying in pizza. I was laying in bed sleeping off a hangover with nothing better to do so I went, her long distance boyfriend sent 6 pizzas for her and her friends to munch on. This was an amazing idea to me- sending a pizza. Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and Jimmy Johns all offer online ordering and delivery. You can set a date so you can order a Valentines Day Pizza for your siblings in advance or send your crush Jimmy Johns during finals. This is a great idea for long distance friends, spouses, and family members. I sent my boyfriend pizza, wings, and soda one year when we were in different states for his birthday. I have a busy friend who's a single mom with three kids and sometimes I'll call her on the phone and she'll tell me she's about to cook dinner and I'll send her pizza so she doesn't have to. It's the small things that count and you can find a ton of deals online. You can also use apps like UrbanSpoon and Yelp to see what delivers and where. You can normally just call the restaurant and order over the phone and pay with a card. I mean seriously who wouldn't want a surprise pizza?