5 Books You Should Read In 2017

5 Books You Should Read In 2017

A list for the avid bibliovore.

15
5 Books You Should Read In 2017
congerdesign on pixabay

It's a little-known fact that English majors really, really like to read. Honestly, I'm not pulling your leg. There's nothing on planet Earth we like more than burying our noses in a good book, complete with stereotypical study chair and a roaring fireplace. As such, I like to think that we tend to have a discerning taste in literature and can put together a pretty rockin' to-read list.

It might be a little late for an "in 2017" list like this, but thankfully reading doesn't come with an expiration date. Here's my top five book recs you should read in 2017 if you haven't already. Click on the covers to be taken to each book's Goodreads page for a jacket summary and community reviews!

1. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

This enchanting, Pulitzer-Prize-winning historical fiction novel follows the lives of two ordinary children on opposite sides of World War II, a blind French girl and a German boy roped into an academy for Hitler Youth. Filled with poignant emotion and some of the most beautiful writing I've seen this side of Lord Byron, Doerr has definitely earned a few hours of your time.

2. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

I have to admit, I'm really late to the game with this one. Published in 2006, Lynch's debut fantasy novel is a charming romp of an adventure from start to finish. If you're looking for a light read packed with fun (and surprising feels!), The Lies of Locke Lamora is for you.

3. East Wing: West Wing by Pearl S. Buck

This isn't the first of Buck's works I've read. I debated whether I should put The Good Earth on this list instead, but I read this book in the space of a single evening, cover-to-cover, without stopping once. I hope that's testament enough to the novel's powerful presentation of a clash of two cultures; if you have any interest at all in Chinese culture, this book is a must.

4. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

Who hasn't heard of this book? Even if you've never read it, you know what it's about: the brutal working conditions and unhealthful food processing of early 20th-century America. However, you might not know that, beyond its social influence, The Jungle is, quite simply, a well-written and engaging story about the struggles of a desperately poor immigrant family. So if this classic novel isn't already on your to-read list, give it a chance! It might surprise you.

5. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond

Closing off this list with a bit of non-fiction, Guns, Germs, and Steel asks a simple question: what caused the differences that allowed western Europe to rise to power? Admittedly, I've yet to finish the book, but what I've read so far is an engaging and persuasive account of how geography, access to materials, and germs led to the wide gulf in power. If you're interested in history or anthropology, maybe give it a shot.

And finally, a question: What books have you read so far in 2017?