5 Books To Read This Summer

5 Books To Read This Summer

It's time to pick up a good book!
2

This summer, I've made it a goal to knock a few books off my TBR list. A few have been sitting around for years, while others I've purchased recently, and can't wait to finish. If you're looking for any books to add to your summer reading list, look no further.

1. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I picked up this novel at AWP, and I have yet to pick it up. Americanah is about a young woman named Ifemelu who emigrates to the United States from Nigeria to attend university. The story explores Ifemelu's life in both her home country and the United States. along with threads about her love life with a high school classmate named Obinze.

2. We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen

The cover drew me to this novel originally, but the description really sold me. The novel tells the story of the people of the port town Marstal. They have all sailed the ocean for centuries. It spans over time and generations of Marstal folk traveling the sea, or focusing on the ones left behind.

3. The Martian by Andy Weir

I hate to admit it, but I saw the movie before I read the book. This is because I found the plot just so interesting, but never got around to reading the whole thing. I've read a chunk of The Martian, and I can't wait to finish it. The Martian follows the story of an astronaut who gets stuck on Mars by himself and has to find a way to survive and get help.

4. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid

Exit West is another novel I picked up at AWP and am eager to read. It isn't something I normally would have chosen for myself, but I like to try new books. The novel follows a pair named Saeed and Nadia as they live and work as office clerks. They're in a city full of refugees that go through a lot of challenges. Eventually, the pair has to flee and use a system of doors that lead to different locations around the globe.

5. We Show What We Have Learned by Clare Beams

This novel is a collection of strange short stories that are unsettling. I typically like things that are strange and are historically grounded with complex characters, so I decided I wanted to check this out. Short story collections are also outside of my usual reading list, so I wanted to change that!