5 Of The Best Quotes From "Gladiator"

"Gladiator" is by far my favorite movie in the entire world. The gore isn't my favorite, but it's pretty inspirational for a fictional movie. I'm the type of person that can get basically any lesson out of anything, but this movie shows fantastic examples of moral good, determination, and sticking to what you think is right.

In honor of my father, with whom I would watch and re-watch this movie, here are five of the best quotes from "Gladiator,"

If you've never seen it, or know nothing about this movie, it's basically about, "The general who became a slave. The slave who became a gladiator. The gladiator who defied an emperor."

1. Maximus: "Brothers, what we do in life... echoes in eternity."

Honestly, if this doesn't make you sit there and say, "damn," I don't know what to tell you. This is by far one of my favorite quotes, because how can it not be? It's one of those quotes that really makes you think and sends those shivers down your spine. I see it as him basically saying what you leave behind in life is your legacy and that's what you'll be known for even after you pass. Be your best and do good in life.

2. Marcus Aurelius: "Death smiles at us all. All we can do is smile back."

It's absolutely inevitable. Death is something we can't hide from, and the best thing we can do is accept it, and live the best life we can while we're still here on this Earth.

3. Maximus: "Strength and honor."

I mean, it does not get more straight forward than those 3 words. They are both very important virtues of life, with various ways to be both strong and honorable. I love this quote because of its simple yet powerful meaning.

4. Maximus: "Imagine where you will be, and it will be so."

Obviously, you cannot just envision success or good things happening to you and it will suddenly be so. For all that to happen, you have to work hard, and you will get plenty of "nos" along the way, but i believe in positive envisioning and doing the things necessary to reach those goals to make those visions reality. I love this quote because it's simple, and it really does HELP motivate you to envision the end goal/big picture.

Last but not least, probably everyone's favorite/most well known quote from gladiator:

5. Maximus: "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true Emperor Marcus Aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife – and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

I mean, I just really love that part of the movie. Who doesn't?

Again, Gladiator is my all time, number one, favorite movie. If anyone has not seen it yet, I highly recommend it. (It's on Netflix). It came out 16 years ago, and I still watch it frequently to this day, and probably will forever.

*In honor of my father who passed away nine years ago today, because we both love this movie. Thanks to my dad for instilling in me the good virtues that I can relate with in this movie. Thank you for leaving behind a wonderful legacy. I'm grateful for the 12 years I had with you. I hope you're having a blast up there with Jesus.