5 Benefits And Downfalls Of Being The Oldest Child

There are pleasures of being the oldest child but it simultaneously is the worst.

71
BuzzFeed

There's something quite special about being the oldest sibling that give its benefits as well as downfalls. I am almost 21 years old and I am the oldest of 6 children: myself, my two brothers (18 & 14), my half-sister (12), and my stepsister and stepbrother (4 & 2). There is a lot I have learned and a lot that I wish I didn't have to do but I guess I know my way around the block and back.

Benefits:

1) Knowing what love is.

There is no doubt that love comes in many shapes and sizes but being the oldest child, one is inclined to know what love is from a young age; or for me at least. Every time I became a big sister again, I knew it was my duty to always protect them and cherish them - through sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, and so on and so forth. Of course, those are marriage vows but, if that’s a symbol of love, then it is accurate to express that love is love. No matter what situation we are in, I will give them all the love I have.

2) Being prepared for the future.

From changing diapers, feedings, rocking them to sleep, making them laugh, teaching them to say your name, and seeing them off to their last day of high school, it's all part of the older sister role. I’ve come to know that this is just preparing me for the future. I do want kids some day and as the oldest, this is a benefit because I am able to see firsthand what goes into raising a child. And at this point, five times over again, I honestly feel like could raise a village on my own.

3) Responsibility.

By the age of three, I was already a big sister and at the age six, I was a big sister to two brothers. It is a hard job but I really had no choice in the matter. But one thing I love is that this gave me responsibility. The responsibility of always setting a good example, and setting the higher expectations so they would follow. It may seem a little narcissistic but I’m basically leading the way for future leaders, which is scary to think about if you know my brothers…

4) Always knowing the 411.

I know everything. I am nosy and I like to be in the loop regarding my siblings and family – it’s natural for me. Though, as the oldest, I feel like this is a benefit because I want to know just in case I need to be there for one of them of if I’m needed for any kind of reinforcement! It is also great that I don't get shot down with that "mind your own business" bit, so that's always lovely.

5) Watching them grow up.

Although this is such a sad part of life, it’s definitely a benefit. I remember when my little sister, now 4, was born and I just dreamed of who she would become when she got to this age. Lord, she is a feisty little nut but it has been so fun to know who she is. On the other hand, my 18-year-old brother is such a witty character, totally opposite of who I thought he'd ever become. Growing next to these tiny little humans is a blessing and I can’t wait to see more. Be still my heart.

Downfalls:

1) Default babysitter.

Trust me, it has gotten better as I've reached my 20's, but Lord I was a default babysitter since I was at least 8. Since I was mature for my age, and I did it so well, I was always called to babysit whenever my parents wanted time for themselves. Of course, I never said no because family always comes first, but I wish they would have had someone else do it because it was stressful.

2) Being mistaken as their parent.

Like I stated, my youngest sibling is two and I can't tell you how many times people have mistaken me for his mother. I honestly, would have a million bucks if I was given a dollar for every time someone said, "your little boy is adorable" or "Is that your son?" I guess in this day in age, anything is possible, right?

3) Stricter rules.

I honestly know for a fact that 3/5 of my siblings could get away with murder and my parents wouldn't bat an eye. But for me on the hand, I had to tell my parents who I was with, where I would be, who was driving, and when I would be home. I'm a little petty. I've watched CSI, I could get away with murder as well, thanks.

4) Always worrying.

As the oldest sibling, I am always worrying about everything. Examples: are my siblings getting good grades, do they have enough friends, are they getting bullied at school, are they the bully at school, did they get their homework done, what should I do to make them a better person, am I giving them enough encouragement, and will they know I will always be there for them. This is probably the most stressful part of this job.

5) Being old.

There is a good amount of time between myself and my youngest brother. 18 years is pretty substantial; I don't like the fact that I'll be almost 40 when he graduates high school. I guess there's nothing I can do about it but have it remain a little awkward for the rest of our lives.