5 Beautiful Statements That Have Come Out Of The 2016 Election

Words of wisdom in response to Election Night.

5
Morgan County

Many of us, myself included, have been struggling to find a sense of calm after the results of this year's tumultuous election. We've seen aggression, we've seen protests, and we've seen violence. But we've also seen into the hearts of those around us who care, those who stand up and say, "I'm here for you" and "I'll stand with you." These are the voices we should be listening to. We've seen those moments of kindness and those statements of wisdom, from our close friends to some of the most influential individuals of this generation. They are leaders, they are creators, sometimes they're even fictitious, but they, just like us, are capable of providing words of comfort.

1. “I will teach my daughter to love all people, regardless of the color of their skin, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or where their birth certificate says they’re from. I will teach her how important it is to be an advocate for humanity. Not just the portion of humanity that benefits her." -- Macklemore

After the results of the election, a growing number of parents were concerned how to combat a growing sediment of racism, sexism, and homophobia. Even CNN reporter Van Jones commented as the polls came in, concerned how we should raise children to not be bullies and bigots when that type of commentary has been made previously by the soon-to-be leader of our nation.

Macklemore is echoing a sentiment I read from many other parents this week. Family and friends have so many opportunities, especially now, to teach respect, to teach empowerment, and to teach kindness. It is our job arm ourselves, and the younger generation, with love for every person, regardless of labels.

2. "People making their own decisions is, on balance, better than an autocrat making decisions for them. It’s just that sometimes those decisions are bad, or self-defeating, or maddening, and a day where you get dressed up in your best victory pantsuit and spend an ungodly amount of money decorating your house with American flags and custom-made cardboard cutouts of suffragettes in anticipation of a glass ceiling-shattering historical milestone ends with you getting (metaphorically) eaten by a giant farting T. rex." -- Leslie Knope

Yep, even the great Ms. Knope of "Parks and Recreation"had some nuggets of wisdom for the rest of us. There are many who are mad -- at the turn out, at the election, and at the other side. We've picked our teams and started lashing out at anybody who isn't part of our gaggle.

But, per usual, leave it to genius fictional characters to put it all in perspective. Making our own choices -- casting our votes -- is better than someone else making them for us. Other people are going to make their choices, and you can definitely disagree with them, argue with them, and point out the moments when they need to check some facts. (It's very fun, and I highly encourage it.) But also acknowledge that we are all given choices, not just the people who agree with us. And it's better that way.

3. "And to all of the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams." -- Hillary Clinton

Regardless of how you feel about Mrs. Clinton -- and I'm sure that there are heated opinions on both sides -- her words ring true, for young girls and everyone else. We are valuable, and we are strong. And with that, we will continue to do great things.

4. "We stand together. We stick up for the vulnerable. We challenge bigots. We don't let hate speech become normalized. We hold the line. " -- J.K. Rowling

She's written characters through the largest wizard war; clearly J.k. Rowling knows a thing or two about banding together in the face of opposition. To many communities, the election is a serious blow. It represents the triumph of those who would like to see them receive less rights, and less opportunity. But they will not be alone, as none of us truly are, in the fight to ensure rights and safety for all.

5. "No matter what happens, the sun will rise in the morning." -- Barack Obama

And if you agree with nothing else in this article, then know that regardless of where we're at right now, there will be tomorrow. And with tomorrow brings new experiences and new opportunities. We will see where it takes us and hope for the best possible outcome.