40 Things You Learn When You Work With Kids

Glitter is not your friend. Ever.

50

Working with kids is one of the most rewarding and trying tasks you will ever endure. Whatever you do can vary from day to day and even if the children are on a schedule, sometimes it is just pure craziness. On the best days and the worst days, the children need us the most and look to us for love and guidance every day they are with you. You truly never know what to expect on a day to day basis when working with children but whether you are a teacher, nanny, or just babysit every once in a while, these are all things we can relate too.

1. You refer to yourself in the third person more often than not

2. You frequently catch yourself talking to adults like they are children.

3. You know all the words to the Disney songs, especially Frozen.

4. Your immune system takes a plummet.

5. Eventually, your immune system builds itself back up.

6. Puke and poop are just a couple of things that don't phase you anymore.

7. Toddlers are smarter than you think.

8. It's not as easy as it looks.

9. They will try and eat everything.

10. There will be crazy parents.

11. You will have favorites (even though you aren't supposed too..shh).

12. Say what you mean, they take things literally.

13. They say weird things, just go with it.

14. If you cannot understand them, just nod and smile.

15. Positive reinforcements work best.

16. Some days will be easier than others.

17. On the tough days, remember to breathe.

18. Music is always a good redirection tool (especially Disney music).

19. Glitter is not your friend. Ever.

20. Your best friends are between the ages of one and seven.

21. They repeat everything.

22. Do not be afraid to act weird around them.

23. It's necessary to cringe when you have to throw away plates of barely touched food.

24. Even when they are misbehaving, you still love them.

25. They question everything.

26. They will believe mostly anything you say.

27. You start referring to them as "your kids."

28. Some days make you feel like you never want kids.

29. Other days, it makes you want hundreds of kids.

30. You are always covered in something (glue, marker, paint, etc).

31. You can recite 90% of the children's books.

32. You form bonds with the children's parents.

33. Routine. Routine. Routine.

34. Patience really is a virtue.

35. You learn to go with the flow.

36. You will meet a variety of kids with a variety of different needs.

37. You start noticing grey hair a lot quicker.

38. All kids have bad days.

39. Even teachers have bad days.

40. Lastly, the kids teach you more about life than anyone else ever could.