4 Ways College Changes You For The Better

College isn’t just about furthering your education, it’s about furthering your life experience and growing into a person you can be proud of.

28

No matter how long it’s been, every single person reading this has graduated high school to move on with the rest of their lives. Leaving the place you’ve attended for the past four years where you’ve connected with so many people can be slightly terrifying. Having to go to a completely different place for another four years without knowing anyone is probably one of the most nerve-wracking experiences, even if your high school experience was less than spectacular. But worry not, for your college will actually prove to be extremely beneficial. Though you might be nervous starting all over again in a strange new place, it really isn’t all that scary. And for those of you reading this who are ready to leave the past behind, I can promise you that dream will become a reality. You just have to tough out another four years of education. Here are the four ways college can change you for the better:

4. Your Exposure to Experiences and People

When you’re in high school, odds are you have been extremely sheltered. I’m not saying it’s your fault: it’s just the way the education system works. However, once you step onto the campus of your brand new home for the next four years, some of what you find can be shocking. There are many different people you will meet who have incredible stories to share and as you grow older, new and exciting experiences will present themselves all the time. My advice? Embrace the new people you meet and learn more about them. Go on that trip to another state or even to another part of the world. College isn’t just about furthering your education, it’s about furthering your life experience and growing into a person you can be proud of.

3. Your Dreams

If you’re like me, you’ve probably graduated high school with a set future in mind: you’re going to go to this college, major in this and minor in that, get a job in a state far, far away from home, and live doing what you love. However, life doesn’t always work like that but don’t worry! It’s totally fine! Sometimes your dreams change. If you’re reading this and you’ve suddenly come to the realization you might not be doing the thing you really love, it’s not too late to change! You need to be able to go through life working at what you’re passionate about and what makes you happy. Sometimes we leave high school thinking we’re meant to be one thing when, in reality, we’re destined for something we never thought we’d ever spend the rest of our lives doing. I’m not saying the change will be easy, but it is most certainly worthwhile. Live the life you’re passionate about.

2. Your Friends

Even though it might seem like you’ll have your high school friends for life, sometimes it doesn’t always work out. And it’s okay. Maybe those friendships weren’t meant to stand the test of time or hardships. It becomes especially difficult to keep in touch with old friends when they move away to go to college. But don’t worry! You are bound to meet new and exciting people as you continue to grow in both college and life. And those people you meet as you get older will most certainly be there when you need them most. It’s not a terrible thing to lose friends as you go through life. Perhaps you’ll stay in touch with those you've graduated high school with. You never really know until the time comes, but moving on and getting close to other people isn’t a bad thing. In fact, becoming friends with new people can help you discover who you truly are. Those are the ones you want to keep around forever.

1. YOU

If you’re embarrassed by the person you were when you were in high school, don’t worry! College is the perfect place and time to finally discover who you truly are. Being around different types of people, learning new things about the world every day, and gaining new experiences are crucial to your personal growth. As you go through the next four years of your life, you’ll transform into an incredibly strong and confident person. You’ll feel so much more comfortable in your own skin and you’ll end up discovering new and exciting things about yourself all the time. Not being able to recognize yourself and who you were when you were seventeen or eighteen is pretty incredible. By surrounding yourself with new people and learning from others, you’re able to build further off of the person you already are to get closer to the person you are meant to be.