SNL's "The Californians" Is Surprisingly Accurate

A True Californian sets the truth straight about "The Californians", and California
400

I'm sure we have all seen "The Californians" on Saturday Night Live. It's pretty outrageous, right? As a Californian girl, I'm here to explain what is an exxageration, and what is actually true.

The Freeway Talk

You may think this is a joke, but sadly it is not. You may be surprised, but every holiday I usually take seven freeways to my relatives' house. Not to go all "The Californians" on you but we take THE (and yes I said 'the,' because that's how it's done in SoCal) 55 to the 73 to my aunt's house, then the 5 to the 110 to my grandparent's house, then take the 605 to the 22 to the 405 all the way back to my house. I hope my example competes with this example from the show...

And another thing, traffic really does suck, and this is not an exaggeration at all. It's probably the worst thing in the world; definitely the worst thing in California.

The Accent

I am embarrased to say that I am a Californian with the Californian accent. In fact, my dad even teases me constantly about adding unnecessary vowels on the end of words. He says that I say "NO-AH", instead of "no". And we like say like every other word.

And once in a while you might even think that we're speaking an entirely different language.

The Look

Blondes, blondes everywhere! Everyone looks very similar with blonde hair, tan skin, while wearing the nicest sunglasses and the trendiest clothes.

And not only is there a look at all, but there is a desperate need to personify the "Perfect Californian". The constant worrying about your appearance, and mirror checks, are very unnecessary but also very common.

The Drama

It never ends... I think this is a universal one, but it is very prevalent in California. I cannot go a single day without some sort of drama happening in my group of friends. It does keep things interesting though!

I hope you enjoyed my Californian insight into our daily lives!