4 Study Techniques You Can Use to Ace Midterms

It's PSL season but unfortunately, that delicious drink goes hand in hand with midterm season. Fortunately, by utilizing these study tips you could end up spending more time sipping those cute fall drinks instead of slaving away in the library!

110
https://pixabay.com/en/woman-reading-book-read-hammock-945427/

Here are some studying tips to make sure you conquer whatever midterms are thrown your way!

Elaborate

Professor: "Could you elaborate on that?"

Me outwardly: "Sure no problem!"

Me inwardly:

Every time I hear this word, a sense of dread courses through my body from all the times I've gotten a paper or test back and read "Can you elaborate more?", "What else?" and the dreaded, "More detail". So, in order to keep everyone's nightmares at bay, let me introduce you to a study technique that will erase these notes from future exams: elaboration is to simply associate what you are learning to what you already know. It means drawing references between new material and something simple in your life. For example, if I am studying for my upcoming psychology exam and need to memorize the function of Broca's area, which is the part of the brain aiding in speech production, I can use this study tip of elaboration. My little brother had a lisp when he was little and by elaborating upon Broca's area with Brother, I can remember that my brother had a lisp and therefore couldn't produce speech well. By using elaboration, it makes for a more personalized studying strategy, with a better chance of remembering the information.

Generate Questions and Self Test

This one is pretty self explanatory but I think it should definitely be noted, or elaborated upon. When studying next time, try reading a section of the textbook or notes and then coming up with your own questions as you read. Even though this may take more time initially, it will save you in the long run. While all your peers will be frantically flipping through notes and lecture slides trying to form a study guide, you can rest easy, because you'll already have one! And the best part is it will be personalized, again making the passage of the information into long term memory that much more likely.

Take Breaks

I know I may sound crazy for saying this. Do I even understand the word "midterms"? A time where there isn't even time to sleep and I want you to take breaks?! But listen up, because if you want to get that A, some much needed R and R is necessary. In psychology, there is a term called the "spacing effect" that demonstrates your memory will work better in multiple, short, studying sessions, rather than an all-nighter. This is due to the fact that one tends to focus better for a shorter period of time and by spacing out studying over days, the information has more time to consolidate itself into your long term memory. "Consolidation" merely means transforming the fragile new memories into a more permanent state, solidifying them into memory. Not only does spacing aid consolidation but if the spaces are filled with sleep, it yields even better results. This is because sleeping stops the interference from environmental stimuli, giving your brain a rest and allowing more time for the information needed for Intro to Underwater Basket Weaving to be consolidated.

Avoid the "Illusion of Studying"

This one hits particularly close to me, probably because I'm very guilty of it. Leafing through my textbook, idly looking at bold words and italicized phrases, repeating to myself "Oh yeah, I know this". And then before I know it, I'm sitting in front of a blank statistics exam and the only thing I remember relating to math is that exponents come before multiplication (PEMDAS anyone?). So, before you get to this sweat-inducing moment, get serious with your studying. Yes, it will be less fun than goofing around with your friends in the library. Yes, the minutes will seem to crawl by. Yes, the material may start off seeming like another language, but if you stick with it, it's proven that you will do better on exams. So if there's one takeaway from this technique it's this statement: familiarity does not mean comprehension. When it comes to answering a statistics question about standard deviations, being familiar with the equations doesn't mean much, trust me.

Equipped with these scientific techniques there's no stopping that 4.0 you got your eye set on! Good luck on midterms everyone!