4 Societal Assumptions That Give Us False Expectations

Let's change the conversation and choose to live a life that has true meaning.
197

Our society is constantly telling us that being pretty, thin, perfect, etc. should be our number one priority. We are taught to focus on ourselves and to worry about what everyone else is thinking about us. What we should really be focused on is loving the people around us and doing the things that we are passionate about that make life worth living. These 4 common beauty assumptions will constantly get in the way we choose to view ourselves and ultimately the way in which we live.

1. Being pretty will make you successful

False: Working hard will make you successful.

People don't get where they want to be in life by spending all their time focused on their looks. They get where they want to be by having a clear vision of their goals and not wasting time on the things that don't really matter.

2. Being pretty will make you a better person

False: Being authentic and honest will make you a better person.

No matter how good you look, if you aren't trying to better your inner self, the changes you make will be temporary and superficial. And if those changes do nothing for anyone else, are they even worth it?

3. Being pretty will help you make more friends

False: Being a good person will help you make more friends.

I would much rather have a friend who I enjoy spending time with over one that can take a flawless selfie. I would much rather have a friend who always has my back over one that has the best makeup collection. I would much rather have a friend helps me be a better person over one who is too consumed with how we look to really care about the friendship itself. I want a real friend, not just a pretty friend.

4. Being pretty will make you happy

False: Living a meaningful life will make you happy.

Unless we choose to actively focus on living a life free of superficial goals and thoughts, we will never be able to see the world as it is meant to be seen. Unless we decide to give up the need for perfectionism and approval, we will never be able to live the life we are meant to live. Make the choice. Focus on what you're grateful for and choose to put your energy into the things that really matter.