4 Reasons Why You Should Be Kind To Elephants

I speak for the Elephants.
243

Recently, President Donald Trump signed an act that has legalized the previous ban on the trade of elephant trophies. This action is detrimental to the already decreasing elephant population in Africa and will without a doubt bring the species one step closer to extinction. This article points out 4 factual reasons why you should stand up for elephants and stand against the hazardous decision that will most likely determine the species' fate.

1. Ivory has no real value.

Ivory is made of the same compound that human teeth is composed of. The only difference is the tusks of elephants are large enough to carve from. The value we have placed on it is completely manmade. We might as well save our baby teeth and make trinkets out of them.

2. All of this, for a trinket.

The main reason Ivory is desired is to manufacture goods like trinkets, utensils, jewelry and religious figures. An entire species is going to go extinct for commonplace objects that could easily be made out of something else. Save an elephant, desire marble and jewels instead.

3. Every hour, 5 elephants are killed.

Just last year alone, 35,000 members of the species were slaughtered. A detrimental number to an already small population. They don’t even stand a chance.

4. We have been here before.

Subspecies have already gone extinct, like the North African Elephant, and there is no doubt that history will continue to repeat itself. History always repeats itself.

But just as humans are the reason we have gotten into this mess in the first place, we are the only ones who can turn it around. If you feel compassionate about this horrible decision, there is a few things you can do to stand up against President Trump. The first step you can take is signing Humane Society of The Unites States of America’s petition. You can also donate to organizations that are trying their very best to reverse these actions, like the The American Wildlife Foundation or The Word Wildlife Fund. But above all else, the best thing you can do in these situations is keep yourself educated. Continue to seek out information that explains why all these governmental changes are harmful. Stay on top of current events. Keep reading. Stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

Speak for the Trees.

Speak for Elephants.

Speak for the Planet.