4 Reasons Why My College Major Is None Of Your Business

I Promise That I Will Succeed Anyway

11
google

Before you even start to fill out college applications, everyone asks you where you will be going. But, the minute you send off your deposit, the next question you have to deal with is "...and what is it that you will be majoring in?" After you're finally content with the direction you want to go with your schooling, 90 percent of those people will go on to give you unsolicited advice as to why you need to change your major. They're either going to say that there aren't jobs in that major, that there are better majors out there, or that your major is simply "unrealistic" or "a waste of money." But it's time for us to ask the question we've all thought at some point: "Why does it mean so much to you?" So to answer that question, here are 4 reasons why my college major is none of your business.

1. There is a very good chance that you won't even use your major

I can list so many people, just off the top of my head, whose careers have nothing to do with what they majored in in college. Your subject area could be one thing, and then later in life you could pursue a completely different career. For example, my mom worked her butt off to complete a double major in English and Geography. Though she did a lot of editing in her first career as a government contractor, she has now taken up a second career as an artist. So many people have multiple careers in life. Sometimes your second career is irrelevant to your first major(s). For instance, Harper Lee began her career as a law student and now she's an award-winning author whose novel To Kill A Mockingbird is taught nationwide. Coming from someone who has no idea what they are doing with their life just yet, it is extremely discouraging to hear that your degree is worthless and a waste of money. It just sets you back even further and doesn't really provide any help.

2. Your college experience should be interesting

What's the point of even going to college if you choose to go into a field that doesn't interest you? Your degree should be something that you're passionate about, not what earns you the most money. Everyone is so different, which is why there are so many degrees. If you choose a competitive field that you're not super interested in, chances are it will be difficult for you to rise to the top. Choose something you like and are good at. Take the plunge. You might not become a millionaire, but at least you will be able to be excited about earning your degree, finding a job, and continuing to learn more and more about your area of expertise.

3. To other peoples' surprise, deciding on a degree is an extremely difficult and time-consuming decision

Picking a degree is a completely personal and thoughtful process. A lot of advice-givers don't realize that a degree is not something that people usually just decide on a whim. Before you even decide on a major and take classes in your major, most students go through a slew of general education courses that are required for any degree. I was undecided for the majority of my first year of college, but because of my general education classes, I was able to decide on a degree with ease. Now, my degree is something I hold incredibly close to my heart. Dissing someone's degree is kind of like dissing their mother. It's a personal blow. The beauty of modern America is that there are so many jobs and career paths out there. There are so many different jobs to pick from, so why be a square peg in a round hole?

4. The main reason? It's honestly a rude and selfish question.

Whenever anyone (usually older than me by at least 20+ years) tells me that the major I chose is not an ideal one, I always think to myself, "Well, it's a good thing it's not your life." This is the most straightforward way to say it because, quite honestly, it's not their life. A lot of times, those older than us like to believe that everyone cares about everything they have to say and think that no advice is unsolicited. But the truth is, the only person who you should listen to when choosing a major is yourself. Your college studies will mold who you will be. So, I will ask you this question: Do you want to be a follower who takes the safe route, or a leader who takes risks.