4 Reasons going to the dentist is important

Your dental care is important to your health

7

Have you had a dental checkup yet this year? Going to the dentist isn't just for when there's an emergency or dental issue; preventive care can help identify problems early on and even prevent them from happening. Here are four reasons why you should schedule regular appointments with your family dentist like https://sloancreekdental.com/.

1. Preventive Care

The foundation of all healthcare, including oral health, is preventive care. The treatments required in preventive care will be virtually the same whether you visit a dentist in Allen, TX or in Fairview, TX. After your teeth are cleaned, your dentist will examine your mouth and teeth thoroughly. Together with your dental hygienist, he or she will make sure your teeth are straight and free of cavities or imperfections. If you're not sure how to properly care for your teeth at home, your dentist or hygienist may provide you with the necessary information.

2. Dental Cleaning and Polishing

A professional cleaning and polishing treatment is usually included in a regular dental visit. This treatment is designed to eliminate plaque buildup and stains like coffee stains, that are difficult to remove with regular brushing. Fluoride treatments are generally recommended in children's dental cleanings to help strengthen their teeth.

3. Regular Dental Visits Can Help Treat Sensitivity

Regular dental checkups is the key to preventing sensitivity problems. Sensitivity is due to plaque, a soft film that forms on teeth. Plaque forms when bacteria in the mouth mix with saliva and food particles. The resulting acids cause tooth decay and eventually erosion of the enamel.

The first sign of sensitivity is usually a tingling or pricking sensation in the gums or tongue when drinking hot or cold liquids or eating foods like ice cream. If you brush your teeth regularly, you can also reduce the risk of sensitivity. Brushing removes plaque from the surface of the teeth, which helps prevent sensitivity by eliminating acid-producing bacteria. Regular visits to your dentist are also important because your dentist can detect and treat any plaque buildup before it causes sensitivity problems.

4. Treatment Plans

If you have a dental problem or your dentist sees something during your exam, he or she will recommend a course of action. A little cavity, for example, is sometimes a minor problem that can be corrected right immediately. Other, more serious issues may almost certainly require a second appointment at a later date for more in-depth dental care. Root canals and crown applications are examples of these procedures. If your problem requires more comprehensive treatment, your dentist may refer you to experts such as oral surgeons or orthodontists.

Dental health can sometimes be overlooked in favor of other parts of healthcare, but it's just as vital as any other examination or treatment. When dental problems are left unchecked and not taken care of, it will get worse.