4 Reasons Why The Boston Red Sox Will Win The AL East

I am SO pumped for the 2018 season.

294
Hannah Martian

Opening Day is just a small handful of days away (thank GOD) so most of the teams in baseball are done making big, impact moves. That means it's time for me to put on my thinking cap and give y'all some predictions. This week, I'm talking about the AL East of course.

The Yankees and the Red Sox are really in a dead heat for the top spot, while everyone else in the division is literally a joke. Especially the Rays. Today, I'm gonna hit you with five reasons why the Red Sox will win the AL East for the third straight year.

1. J.D. Martinez

Obviously, the acquisition of J.D. Martinez is huge for this team. They desperately needed offense, and Martinez really fits in nicely in the lineup. You can read more about my thoughts on the acquisition here. Also, seeing a 3-4-5 lineup of Benintendi/Ramirez/Martinez go toe-to-toe with the Yankees 3-4-5 guys (Sanchez/Judge/Stanton) is going to be very, very entertaining.

2. Bullpen

Call me crazy, but I like this Red Sox bullpen. Even more than the one that the Yankees have. I'll take Craig Kimbrel over Aroldis Champman any day, and I've got serious questions about Dellin Betances's ability to pitch deep into the season after what happened last year. And the numbers agree with me: In 2017, the Red Sox had the #2 bullpen in baseball, while the Yankees had the #3 one. It may be a small fraction, but that's all it takes to edge out your competitor, especially when the division is gonna be as tight as it will be this year.

3. Starting Rotation

Call me not-so-crazy not this one, folks. The Red Sox have guys that are ready to rock and roll in that rotation, including a rested Chris Sale and a new-and-improved David Price. Drew Pomeranz is lights out (when he's healthy) and Rick Porcello can settle solidly into a good 3 or 4 down the stretch. I have a lot of questions about the Yankees rotation (which you can read about here) and less when it comes to the Red Sox.

4. Andrew Benintendi

Oh, you KNEW my man Benny Biceps was gonna make the list. I — and everyone else — is anticipating a huge year from Benintendi, and he's gonna be the player that really pushes this team over the edge. Did he cut his hair? Sure, but he still looks GREAT and is ready to kick some ass.

What other reasons have you got as to why the Red Sox are gonna be the 2018 AL East champs? Let me know below, and if you think the Yankees are gonna win, don't let me know below!