The 4 Best Productivity Apps To Help You Study For Finals

Need help getting off your phone to study?

60
Chau Tang

It's getting close to the end of the semester but some of us might slack in our studies because we do not have the motivation or we might stay on our phones. There have been some productivity apps that were recommended to me on YouTube so I wanted to check it out and give you a review.

I struggle with focusing because I'm always on my phone. I'm checking social media or watching videos on YouTube. It's really easy to procrastinate. It's everyone's favorite thing to do. You can apply these apps solely on studying or for whenever you would like to experience reality instead of pixels on a screen.

1. Move On

This is an app where you can set how many minutes you would like to do per homework or chore. For instance, say I wanted to study Chinese for 30 minutes, so I will drag my thumb up to increase the time or drag my thumb down to decrease it. I have been using it for more than a week now and it has helped me, somewhat to stay focused.

After the time is up, there shall be a ding or a sound coming from your phone. It has helped me because I am conscious of the time but I also tend to check my phone. Also, after the time is up, it will tell you to relax for five minutes so if you don't hit the pause or speed up the time then immediately click stop, it will keep going.

Verdict: It's a good free app to try and get to work.

2. Flora

So many YouTubers have recommended this and I was curious as to why. You click on the circle to plant the seed and try to unlock different plants/fruits and travel around the world (virtually, of course). You have the option of the duration, the minimum is 25 minutes and the max is 1 hour and 50 minutes, or you can click on the clock and pick how long you would like to focus.

In the price column, which is the right column, you can challenge yourself to pick a price $5 or more. If you click out of the app but you clicked on a price that wasn't $0, then you have to link your credit card to pay up since you broke your focus. The more you focus, the more plants/fruits you will unlock. Also, if you did click out of the app, your tree will die. You will receive a notification if time is up.

Verdict: A cute free app

3. Forest

Very similar to Flora, except you need to pay $1.99. Why get forest when you can get flora for free? That's the question I asked myself so I checked it out. Similar concept, you plant a tree and drag your finger around the tree, so the green dot, to pick how long you want to focus for.

The difference is, if you go to the menu button and click the tree symbol, for each hour or tree you have successfully planted, you can see it in one area like a forest. This is really cute! The only thing I am not a fan of is, if your time is up then it will not make a sound. You would have to guess and wonder why it's not making a sound.

Verdict: An interesting yet similar concept. I might prefer the Flora app but some may like the forest app.

4. Pops

You have the option of picking a cute anime character, choose the duration of your focus, then face your phone upside down. It will give you a break, such as a five or ten minute break, but it depends on which character you pick.

If you pick the fitness character, during your break, he will give you advice on working out. If you choose the grandma character, during your break, she'll find you places to visit near you such as a coffee shop. If you choose the pops one, during the break he will show you some funny YouTube videos. When your time is up, you will hear a sound and your phone might flash. It did for mine.

Verdict: Very cute app but if you go on your phone, you will lose points. It won't add up or anything but it's like a competition and you are challenging yourself.