4 New Health Trends To Watch For In 2023
News

Health

7

Just like clockwork, it happens every year. As the new year rolls around, people make fitness resolutions. Gym memberships soar and junk food is thrown in the trash. However, if these so-called resolutions are unrealistic, they can fizzle out as quickly as they were made.

Rather than falling for a new fad diet or risk something extreme, read up on popular health trends. Understand why people are liking them and see if you could benefit too. You may need to adjust your lifestyle to incorporate some of them. But it can be worth it.

Your goal should not be just to lose weight, but to become a healthier version of yourself. Here are four ways you can get a headstart with your health goals.

1. Incorporate More Supplements

Admit it, with busy lifestyles and stress, most people are not eating a very balanced diet. They don’t have the time nor the energy to make healthy, home-cooked meals from scratch each day. To make up for that imbalance, supplements are becoming popular. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than half of adult Americans take supplements.

Some take them as pills, while others prefer to mix powders in a beverage. One of the newer ways to make sure you take your supplements is in the form of gummies. Yes, even adults can enjoy some delicious, chewy candy-like supplements instead of gritty drinks or boring capsules.

Vitamin C was the first supplement to be available as a gummy. However, now you can find elderberry and turmeric gummies too. ACV gummies have surged in popularity because they are easier to take than drinking strong-smelling apple cider vinegar. ACV can boost your metabolism, help weight loss, improve your digestive system, and control blood sugar, which explains its popularity. If you’re thinking about starting supplements, look for natural options without added sugar.

2. Bring on the Healthy Snacks

In addition to supplements, snacking is on the rise. With more people working from home, a 2021 Mondelez International survey reported that 85% of global consumers snack daily. Busy lifestyles mean snacks have often replaced at least one meal a day.

However, the demand for healthier snacks has soared. Protein bars, nuts, trail mix, and seeds have seen immense popularity in recent years. People want to munch on something, but they don’t want to regret it later. Almonds, for instance, are rich in flavonoids, which are good for heart health. Walnuts contain a high level of antioxidants and can help lower bad cholesterol while normalizing blood pressure.

There has also been more demand for plant-based snacks. According to Statistica, the plant-based “meat” market will be worth close to $13 billion in 2023. And it’s not just the vegan and vegetarians who have been asking for such snacks. Many of those who also enjoy meat are seeing the medical benefits of plant-based protein. They want to enjoy meat substitutes because they are lower in fat, cholesterol, and calories. Plus, they are also better for the planet.

3. Utilize New Fitness Technology

Food is just one half of your fitness journey. Moving is the other side of the coin. While basic wearable step counters have been available for several years, newer versions are offering added benefits. Some latest smart watch models can track your sleep habits, oxygen saturation, and heart rate. They sync with your phone and nudge you to reach your daily goals.

Fitness technology has progressed in leaps and bounds with virtual reality workouts. It seems more like a game, but it can help you achieve your cardio and strength training targets. You can wear a VR headset and be transported to a setting of your choice. There you can enjoy boxing, stretching, and other exercises with a trainer you choose.

VR workouts are gaining popularity because you can enjoy them from the privacy of your home. You save time driving to the gym, and you don’t have to skip a workout because of the weather. And best of all you can bring your favorite instructor to you — at any time that works best!

4. Prioritize Mental Health

Working out is great for your mental health because you can benefit from the endorphins and dopamine released while exercising. This improves mood, sleep cycles, and memory. The best health trend to have surfaced in recent years is valuing the importance of one's mental wellbeing. Seeking therapy is likely to continue to be less taboo.

With nearly one in five Americans suffering from mental illness, this is crucial. Many workplaces are offering access to counselors. And many schools are allowing students excused absences for mental health days.

Since the demand for psychologists and therapists skyrocketed during the pandemic, telehealth has become more commonly used. And it has benefited a variety of geographical communities and those who are immobile or immunocompromised. Therapists can see more patients and help more people.

Make This Your Year

Take these small steps, and remember “progress over perfection.” Don’t wait for the perfect time, the perfect equipment, or the perfect diet to get closer to your goals. Make small but consistent changes. Modify your lifestyle gradually, and stick to it.

Get your family involved too, so change is sustainable. Whichever health trend you choose to start with, make sure you give it a good try. Don’t give up too soon or expect miraculous results overnight. Slow and steady wins this race!