11 Mistakes Girls Make When Packing

11 Mistakes Girls Make When Packing

Improve your closet and your suitcase with these tips.

17
11 Mistakes Girls Make When Packing
http://www.graylinealaska.com/blog/assets/content/%5Coverstuffed%20suitcase.jpg

I decided to identify ten packing mistakes commonly made by women, those who rarely leave the house and those who travel constantly. Many of the "mistakes" I've identified are not only applicable to travel, but to closets, drawers, shelves and other forms of storage bending under the weight of our clothing. Ladies, it might be summer, but it's never a bad time to spring clean.

1. Thinking you need every pair of jeans you own.

Ladies, this is a tough one. Let's be honest. While you and I might take pride in having such a widespread collection of jeans, how often is it that we wear a different pair every day?

2. Consider the occasion for which you are preparing.

Before moving to college or packing your suitcase to travel, consider the occasion of your move or trip as well as your everyday fashion trends. The fact that you own ten pairs of jeans does not mean you wear those ten pairs. For example, I have a pair of white distressed jeans with yellow and blue flowers speckled with green foliage.

3. Sure, they might have been fashionable back in 2010 when I was a freshman in high school and bought them on impulse. Then and now they never fit right---do you see my point? Try and stick with one or two pairs, assuming you have other pants you are itching to bring along.

4. Hanging on to gifted clothing

This is for all the sweet people who hang on to that ugly sweater from that relative you see at every family gathering. Receiving clothes as gifts can be a blessing or a curse, depending on the type of recipient you are. I despise malls. Therefore, when I receive a piece of clothing around my birthday or Christmas, I'll keep whatever funky sweater I received so long as it fits me.

5. Ignore the pressure that comes with the gift of free clothing.

Free clothing items are a blessing and a curse. There is extra pressure to hold on to items of clothing that I didn't buy for myself. Especially clothing that was gifted. OK, I'll admit, I've lucked out in the free clothes department and haven't had many ugly sweaters to throw out. Is the picture of my closet starting to form in your mind?

6. Let go of clothes you do not want or need.

In my experience, I underestimate my friends and families and find that they either: 1) don't notice if I donate or simply don't wear what they've picked out for me or 2) discover they'd rather I exchange that item for something practical or credit. All that to say, you'll find your closet less cramped if you confront this obligation to keep clothes you don't need or want.

7. Shoes....plural. Historically, shoes have always caused many a problem.

Having a pair of shoes for every occasion is fun. I won't fight anyone on that point because I'd be lying. I love to have a shoe rack that is completely full. I know myself though and I am personally the type who owns more shoes than she will ever need and continue accumulating until there just isn't enough closet space.

8. However, having too many shoes to count is not practical. Although fun and guilty of satisfying too many people, nobody needs that many pairs of shoes. How do I know this? I know you have favorites nonetheless. After several frustrating semesters at college, I came to the realization that shoes are similar to jeans.

9. Force yourself to make a decision. As you can see here, I merely applied the favoritism rule in this instance to decide. I figured out that although I brought shoes for all occasions, I could have easily gotten by with one pair of fall (leather) boots, tennis shoes, and my favorite pair of Birkenstocks. That's just me. I understand not all of us can be perfectly casual on a daily basis. Throwing in one pair of cute heels into the mix is not unreasonable.

10. Jackets. Jackets have always been tricky because they take up room.

There are many practical reasons to have numerous jackets, they will always take up space. That means once again, downsizing is necessary. Fall, winter, spring, summer, denim, wool, thermal, water-resistant...jackets might as well be like every other piece of clothing except for one important detail: they take up space like almost no other piece of clothing.

11. Be selective and practical when buying and packing jackets.

Having a pair of underwear in ten different colors and various styles is one thing. I'd say if you are having space issues due to underwear, you have an entirely different problem on your hands. Not only is owning ten jackets unpractical, but it likely means you hard pressed to find space for any other clothing in your closet.

There you go. Eleven tips to radically affect your packing tips and expand closet space! You might notice that these tips revolve around one main rule of thumb, and that is: only buy and accept what you absolutely need and love to wear!