4 Misconceptions About Fast Food Restaurants

How well will you treat the cashier the next time you visit a fast food chain?

132

People are always visiting fast food locations, whether it is for your morning breakfast or just a cup of coffee we are all guilty of stopping there once in a while. However from time to time, we judge these locations and gather our opinions of them,

We hear about it somewhere or in one particular instance we get the wrong change and the cashier argues with us, that we did indeed receive the right change, then from that instance on we might assume that every such location will try to short us of our change. However most of these opinions we form are just misconceptions of these types of restaurants.

4. Workers are miserable

Most people that come in and purchase food from fast food restaurants imagine that people working there are really depressed and have miserable lives. In actuality, while it can be stressful and at times straight out depressing, mostly it is just a regular day. The consistency of the days usually stays the same, save maybe one day where some customers make you extraordinarily mad. The thing is that, in most cases if a somebody looks mad or sad, it is because of a customer treats them less than human.

3. Fast Food is Extremely Unsafe

I have seen people come in and order only a drink and when asked if they would like to purchase any food items, they just snort and tell you that our food is poison and unclean. While there is no denying that the food is greasy and fattening, and there is definitely a difference between a home cooked meal and a McDonald's cheeseburger, fast food restaurants do not keep their venues dirty. We always make sure to wear gloves when handling food, we have dates marked for when the food is considered not serviceable, and this information is written down in at least two separate places. In fact, we clean the food stations more than once a day. The food may be unhealthy, but it is certainly not prepared incorrectly.

2. Workers can give you free stuff and Discounts

People will always ask for discounts, and while there are some available that you just have to ask for, fast food workers simply cannot give you anything for free whenever they want. Most of the time if a worker says "I am sorry we can't give that away for free", we're being honest. Do not push somebody to give you that free cup of soda or a free doughnut. You are risking them getting a penalty or worse, being fired for doing it too many times. If you are going to keep asking them for free things, make sure to have a better job ready for them (hopefully one that pays better and is easier). Some people that work there depend on these restaurants for their entire livelihood. Don;t ruin it for them.

1. Donate to Charity

Donating to a charity is truly a great thing to do. Most businesses do donate to show their support and have a good public opinion of them. However, what people do not understand is that all the food being thrown away simply cannot be donated and it isn't the fast food restaurants fault. For example, every single night, Dunkin' Donuts throws away all the donuts, and I heard more often than I would like is people asking me why we do not donate them and telling us it's stupid that we don't. However, the fault in most cases lies not with the restaurant owners being just greedy and selfish, but with the charities themselves. There were instances where there would be lawsuits against food donors because some of the food made somebody sick. There was even a case where a farmer was feeding his horses donuts that the owner of a Dunkin' Donuts gave him. One of the horses got sick and the owner of the Dunkin' Donuts got served a lawsuit.

There is a law in place called The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act which protects food donors from lawsuits like that. But there are still sour tastes from lawsuits being conducted out of the companies' good deeds, and the fact that there are regulations and requirements the food needs to meet to be eligible for this act's protection makes it more difficult to donate.

There are of course always exceptions to all of these points, some fast food restaurants are unsafe to eat at, and some restaurants do donate their food at the end of the night. However this is a list of misconceptions that give fast food a bad name and make everybody involved in it looked down upon at times. It shouldn't make a difference whether you work at Google or at McDonald's; you should still be treated like a human being.