4 Interesting Medical Lab Test that Save Lives Behind-The-Scenes

You don't have to know about these lab tests for them to save your life, but you should.

83

The human body is an incredibly complicated biological organism. Countless systems work together and against one another to form a fragile equilibrium. When these systems become unbalanced, countless conditions can arise. Minor irritations such as sweating or rashes could develop. Major problems like cardiac arrest and seizures could arise in more extreme cases.

Let’s explore some of the more unique medical lab tests that technicians can use to better illustrate the importance of testing an items’ compatibility with the human body.

Systemic Toxicity Testing

Testing the harmful potential of a substance is anything but new. What is unique about systemic toxicity testing pertains to the broad way it tests for the toxicity of substances, specifically as they interact with the human body in both the short and long-term. Substances include everything from over-the-counter medication to surgical screws.

This medical test is vital to researching necessary medication traits like a safe maximum dosage and how quickly it dissipates within the human body, and how biocompatible medical devices, which includes implanted devices like pacemakers or joint replacements, are with the body. Without this kind of testing, we might not know how medications can cause liver failure or what kind of metals are safe for implantation.

Micronucleus Testing

Determining the carcinogenic potential of genotoxic compounds is one of the more complicated tasks, but it is essential to ensure that a medical product is safe for long-term use. In simple terms, this test determines how a compound that can damage cells and cause mutations contributes, or potentially contributes, to the development of cancer.

Mouse micronucleus testing provides for the testing of compounds in a way that mirrors their utilization in most mammals, humans in particular. Mouse genetics bear a strong resemblance to human genetics and are often used for genetic testing of all kinds. Without this test, we might not know with certainty the effects of carcinogens like radiation and cigarettes.

Radiation Sterilization Validation

Most products used in medical fields require sterilization for the safety of patients and health professionals. Methods of sterilization used in households and even foodservice don’t stand up to the extremely high standards required for medicine. One prominent method of sterilization is an applied dose of radiation. Most people safely assume that someone with a bachelor of science in radiologic sciences is an x-ray or MRI technician, but this is another important use of radiation. While effective on many levels, radiation sterilization requires a lot of fine tuning to work safely and effectively. That’s where validation comes in.

Radiation sterilization validation is the backend process that determines the appropriate radiation dose any given product requires to be granted a sterile label claim. Technicians will use varying doses of radiation followed by sterility and bacteriostasis tests to hone in on the right dose to sterilize, but not damage or degrade the product in the process. Many medical products, including medications, might not be safe for use without this kind of testing.

Chromosomal Aberration Testing

Some chemicals, medicines and medical devices may have compounds that do not cause overt effects in mammals. They may instead damage the chromosomes in cells, which in turn can lead to damage that does not appear until future generations are born. Chromosomal aberration testing is a unique test that utilizes Chinese hamster ovary cells to detect aberrations induced by foreign compounds.

This is yet another test that can help determine the genotoxicity of a chemical. Without it, people who interact with a compound may still be at a heightened risk for developing tumors, but also at risk of passing genetic abnormalities onto children. This kind of testing is extremely important as it ensures that compounds are not only safe for the individuals taking them, but also for anyone borne of the same genetic makeup.

These tests are all highly technical and complex beyond the thorough understanding of anyone outside the medical field, but they all serve a common and simple purpose. They all make medical products and medical practice safer and more effective. Next time you need even an over-the-counter medication, you feel safe knowing that exhaustive testing has been done to make it safe for you.