4 Important Things To Do On Eid

4 Important Things To Do On Eid

One of the most long-awaited celebrations is nearly upon us~

431
4 Important Things To Do On Eid

Eid ul-Fitr, the celebration of the end of Ramadan for Muslims all over the world, is fast approaching. Eid is a day full of feasting, festivities, and lots of fun. So I thought it would be a good idea to talk about some important things to be mindful of this Eid.

Take out time for contemplation

Fasting during the month of Ramadan is vital for many reasons. One of the most commonly given ones is that helps us realize the suffering of those who are not lucky enough to eat regularly. While this is true, it is also about doing good deeds, getting closer to your faith, and contemplating about how to be a better person. It teaches us humility and patience. So during this Eid, be sure to take a moment to appreciate and think about how much you have improved and changed during this past month. Think about what you could have done differently and resolve to make those changes from here on out, the best you can. Just because Ramadan is over, doesn’t mean you can’t improve upon yourself now. And if you are satisfied with the change in you, take pride in your accomplishments and make an effort to retain them and make them lifelong habits.

Exhibit patience

Eid can be incredibly hectic, especially when there are a large number of people celebrating together. Often the Eid namaz is particularly crowded, with shoes all over the place outside the prayer rooms and so many people who are often forced to squeeze together in order to accomdate everyone. It can get understandably frustrating, but try your best to keep your cool. Don't get irritated by the children darting around when people are doing their prayers, stay calm if you have difficulty making your way to the outside of the prayer room to get your shoes (and if your shoes have somehow gone missing, like mine unfortunately have a number of times, don't lash out), and help those who are struggling in the chaos. If you go to Eid parties, don't get too frustrated if there isn't enough food or if you are constantly being cut in line. Remember the month that you are celebrating, and that one of the key virtues is humility and patience. Believe me, I truly understand that this is often easier said than done, but it is important to do your best. It says more about your growth as a person when you face these situations with grace and tolerance.

Enjoy the food!

After a month of fasting from sunrise to sunset, it makes a great change to be able to feast during the day. One of my favorite parts about Eid is having so many great foods to choose from that I often have a difficult time deciding what to go for first! So make sure you enjoy the delicious foods and savories that come your way on this day, but do be sure to keep in mind the meaning of what you are celebrating. Make sure that you do not waste food and be grateful for what you have been blessed with.

Spend time with friends and family

While it is true that it is often easier to spend time with your loved ones in Ramadan since many of you are on a similar schedule with regards to fasting, it can also be more difficult since the schedule itself is so tight. I often find myself unable to spend as much time with my friends during the day as I’d like to due to going to the masjid, reading the Quran, and other religious obligations. Not to say that these are irksome, but it does make it difficult to find time to do all the things you want to do. So on Eid, be sure to make up for any lost time and enjoy the day with the people who matter most.

Let me know if there are any other things you feel are important to keep in mind during Eid in the comments below!