3D printing is the way of the future, but not like this

I Thought 3D Printers Were Cool Until They Threatened The Fate Of Humanity By Building Guns

This is not the second amendment.

58

My junior year of high school, I took an introduction to engineering course. My school received funding from the state for STEM courses such as engineering and robotics. I still remember walking to the basement of my school to see my teacher printing something out of the 3D printer, and it always amazed me to see how far technology has advanced.

3D printing has changed our way of living. In the news, there are stories of how this technology is being used to print organs for transplant patients and help lead the world to more advanced medical practices. For transplant patients, the list keeps growing where priority matters in your situation. Sometimes people end up waiting for months to hear back for a heart or liver, and it really is a matter of life and death. Even on ABC's hit show, "Grey's Anatomy," they have adapted the practice into the show.

It's 2018. The world around us is gaining so many advances thanks to technology. However, there is a dark side to ongoing phenomena.

Over the past couple of days, news has broken out about Cody Wilson releasing blueprints for a fully functioning 3D gun. However, this isn't a new creation by Wilson. In 2013, a video surfaced of Cody Wilson at a shooting range in Texas with the first gun he had created. He then saw the popularity his video got and decided to release his blueprints to the world. It took until there were approximately 100,000 downloads for Wilson to be sued by the federal government in 2015.

For whatever reason, Wilson reached a settlement in his case back in June and people were able to begin re-downloading this dangerous item. In numerous interviews, Wilson said he had found a solution for gun reform in letting people download and protect themselves by building their own gun. It is the exact opposite of public safety and just putting the public at risk. Even though it is plastic, it still shoots and acts like a gun.

It took until Tuesday night, less than 24 hours before the blueprints were meant to go live, for a federal judge to rule it was illegal to post the blueprints in the first place. Thankfully, Wilson's website has been shut down to prevent anyone else from reaching these downloads. However, the blueprints are still out there. Theoretically, anyone who has the blueprints to build a handgun or even an AR-15 can potentially do so.

This is not the second amendment. I am not the first one to raise concern over the growing number of deadly shootings in America, and whether Cody Wilson wants to disagree, this is not helping to protect the public. There is a fight for gun regulations and disablement of the NRA for a reason, so this epidemic can decrease. I firmly believe that there needs to be stronger screenings for who wants to obtain a gun through psychological evaluations and training courses with law enforcement.

All it takes is these blueprints getting into the wrong hands.