311 Spends a Weekend in Atlanta

311 Spends a Weekend in Atlanta

Photos from 311's show in Atlanta on Friday night.

8
311 Spends a Weekend in Atlanta
Sophie Harris

It felt like it was about 311 degrees at the Tabernacle in Atlanta last Friday, July 29. The line to get in to see alternative-rock band 311 was wrapped around the building, filled with fans who couldn't wait to see their favorite band up close and personal.

311 has been a successful band since the early 1990s. They have recorded eleven studio albums and sold more than 8 million records. So it's no surprise that they needed an entire weekend instead of just one night to play to all of their Atlanta fans.

For the past several years, 311 has put on an annual summer tour called the Unity Tour that has been accompanied by dozens of artists from Sublime with Rome to Snoop Dogg. This year, Matisyahu accompanied most of the dates, but unfortunately not the Atlanta ones.

Instead, DJ Soulman entertained the audience for a full hour before 311 came on. He was easily able to pump up the crowd. As he left the stage, he shouted, "Remember, music is always good for you!"

311 has completely different set lists for each of their shows. At this show, they opened with Homebrew, which is made up of more hard rap than the majority of their songs. It was a great choice to transition from what DJ Soulman was playing earlier.

During the song, singer and turntable artist Doug "SA" Martinez provided tambourine and moved around the stage so much that he instantly commanded every audience member's attention. His energy remained high throughout the show.

The one thing that does stay the same at every 311 show is bassist Aaron "P-Nut" Willis's solo. The bass solo has been a tradition for years. It lasted about 10 minutes and played a medley of songs, including Daft Punk's "Get Lucky," which was loads better than the original.

This concert had one of the most unique and wild crowds I've ever seen. The fans packed into both the pit and the balcony ranged from high school students to people who could be their grandparents. Lots of the fans, especially the older ones, were wearing the band's merchandise to show their dedication.

Every seat in the balcony was full, but somehow the pit seemed to be much more crowded. That might have been because a number of people in the pit brought big balloons to toss on stage. Some even brought inflatable aliens.

At most concerts I've been to, most people are within a few years of my age and the older people in the crowd were probably only there to accompany their son or daughter. However, at this concert, the older members of the crowd knew every word to every song and they sang their hearts out. Music really is always good for you!