31 Somewhat Insightful Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

"Find yourself" only gets you so far.

7

Hi there, freshman. Maybe you've searched for college advice and found "make friends," or my personal favorite, "find yourself." Here, I have some non-fluff college advice to get you through these (hopefully) four crazy years ahead of you. No shame in that victory lap, though.

1. Not everyone will like you.

We're off to a positive start. OK, maybe this sounds harsh, but life gets easier when you accept it. You can't please everyone, so you might as well be happy. You don't have to befriend everyone.

2. On that note, you don't have to be best friends with your roommate(s).

You just have to be civil. That includes not hitting the snooze button five times.

3. Put yourself out there the first week.

Not outgoing? Fake it until you make it. Don't be that kid who stays in his or her room alone the first week when everyone is meeting each other. There will literally never be another time in your life where a large group of people are this excited to meet each other like the first week of freshmen year.

4. Don't take that 8 a.m..

"But Louisa, I woke up at 6 a.m. for high school. I'm fine!" No, you're not. I don't even have a logical explanation for why getting up for colleges classes is harder than waking up for high school classes. It just is.

5. You're probably going to change your major and/or your career path.

Someone told me this senior year of high school when I was positive I was going to be a physician assistant. "There's no way I won't be in the medical field," I foolishly thought. I got a C in introduction to chemistry and a D in calculus for life sciences. I quickly took that L and decided I should explore my options. Five majors later, I am studying economics, which is a far cry from biology. Long story short, chemistry is awful and you're not a failure for changing your plan.

6. Go to the sports games. No, really.

Depending on your school, they're probably free. And you're not obligated to stay the whole time. So go, dress up, tailgate, take pictures, pray your football team doesn't end up 3-9 like mine.

7. The dining plan is going to rip you off somehow.

My school used points instead of swipes, so it was necessary to budget. It didn't make it easier that markups were insane. Wanted a small bowl of grapes? Have fun not eating for the rest of the day. Learn how to budget and know what can be your cheapest options. That being said, have some cheap food in your dorm.

8. Go to the gym and eat right.

That ironic T-shirt that talks about how much you love eating and hate exercise only makes you look "quirky" for so long. Your school's gym is probably free, which is a blessing considering gym membership costs are crazy in the real world. Also reach for some fruit and vegetables over processed garbage. Your body will never have as much potential as you do right now, so tap into it.

9. The easiest way to get everyone to hate you is to act superior because of your major.

"Yeah, I was super impressed when they belittled my major, told me anyone above the age of five can do well in my classes, laughed at my career choice and rambled about their major, which they constantly reminded me is better than my major." - No one, ever.

10. High school is over, my friend.

No one is impressed or interested in your AP classes, SAT scores, varsity letters, or Prom King/Queen title anymore.

11. Rush, even if you have the smallest inkling you might like being Greek.

Hey, who knows.

12. Go out on a weekday.

OK, I know this sounds like terrible advice, but hear me out. Going out one day during the week will not kill your academic life. Going out weekdays always make for better stories. I don't know why they just do. Being tired for one day of classes will not kill you.

13. But staying in is OK, too.

You aren't obligated to go out every night, and sometimes staying in ends up being more fun anyways. It's often cheaper, too.

14. Sign up for everything that looks interesting, but only stick with a few.

Whether you mean to or not, you will end up on dozens of clubs' email lists. Go to club meetings for a bunch of different groups the first two weeks. Stick with a handful that you genuinely enjoy and ones that give room for leadership positions.

15. Have a plan when you get exiled.

Lay some ground rules when it comes to this: how and when to give a warning, where the sexiled roommate can crash, etc. And don't be that weird roommate that refuses to give your roommate alone time.

16. Wrap whatever you have up, even if there is no chance of pregnancy.

Herpes is not your friend. STDs are incredibly rampant on college campuses, so be safe and smart. If there is a chance of pregnancy in your relationship, neither condoms nor female birth control is 100 percent effective, so be safe and use both. Tip: If they didn't require you to use a condom, they probably didn't require all their other partners to use one. Ew.

17. Don't buy your textbooks through your school's bookstore, if possible.

Nine out of 10 times, it will be much more expensive than anywhere else. For example, my economics class wanted a $200 textbook I rented for $15 on Amazon. If you haven't noticed already, your school will rip you off in anyway possible.

18. WEAR SHOWER SHOES.

There were four armed robberies in one night the other week at my school. People who don't wear shower shoes still scare me more. It's disgusting and you don't want to be referred to as "That Kid Who Showers Barefoot and Won't Stop Talking About the Fact That He Won Prom King."

19. This should be a given, but go to class.

I have heard maybe zero success stories of people who routinely skipped classes. You're paying for it, so you might as well take up space in the lecture hall.

20. Befriend or at least get to kinda know your professor.

Odds are your professor will not know you or care to find you if your class has more than 50 people. You're going to want them on your side when finals roll around.

21. Do it for the story.

If something sounds crazy or outrageous, just do it. It'll make for a good story.

22. Be smart when you go out.

Eat beforehand, go with friends, don't drink and drive. You know the drill.

23. WASH. YOUR. CLOTHES. AND. SHEETS.

This is just basic hygiene. Sleeping in the same sheets for months is absolutely disgusting and you don't want to be that guy that can be smelled down the hall. Think I'm exaggerating? I'm not. Don't be that guy.

24. Take classes that have nothing to do with your major or past interests.

I took a class on the art history of ancient Mesoamerica. I will probably never need this information again, but I guarantee I know more about Olmec stone heads than the average American. Learn another language, the basis of another religion, the influence of social media, how to save the bees. I don't know, just have fun with it.

25. Cut off people if necessary.

If someone doesn't make you happy, don't keep wasting your time. There are thousands of people at your school and, trust me, you're better off.

26. Don't be cynical.

"Louisa, you sound pretty cynical in this article." I see your point, but no one wants to spend time with constant downers. Smile, do good things for people, go out of your way to introduce yourself to others. You're going to make way more friends being nice than being a martyr.

27. Grades are not the most important

No, really. Build your network, schmooze, kiss up like there's no tomorrow. You are not above any of this, no matter how much you want to believe.

28. Don't fall for pyramid schemes.

I don't know why, but they're all over my campus. They're so prominent that professors allow students to present their schemes, "job opportunities," before class begins. The cleaning lady on my floor freshman year tried to recruit two of my friends on different occasions. It's insane and I don't understand. The golden rule is to stay away from people with clipboards.

29. You're going to college, not your parents.

My dad kept emailing me articles on medical schools when I switched my major. I threatened to drop out of school if he continued. The articles stopped. Just remember to do what makes you happy and what's best for you.

30. Pack more underwear and socks than you think you need.

Laundry is expensive, alright.

31. Make the most of it.

After this, it's the real world. So make mistakes, learn something new, have crazy experiences that make for insane stories and embrace the freedom of college before you have to grow up.