30 Things That Will Probably Happen To You Your First Year At SDSU

347

Most freshmen going into their first year at college have no idea what to expect. Sure, they might think that classes will get harder and parties will get crazier, but truth is, they have no idea what’s in store for them.

Every college freshmen at schools far and wide will each have a

uniquely different first year experience. But at SDSU in particular, there are things that will probably happen to you your first year. This list is to help prepare you. Batten down the hatches, kiddies.

1. Party. Sure, we all know that SDSU kids party. But most of us don’t really understand the true meaning or the scale of parties until we go to SDSU. Expect to have a lot of fun. 

2. Take the trolley. And most likely hate it. And bemoan the fact that your parents don’t spoil you enough to get you a car your first year of college. But also be smug about the fact that SDSU has a trolley stop at our school while UCSD and USD don’t. 

3. See some sort of concert at the Open Air Theater. Most likely the free/$10 Greenfest concerts. 

4. Get really annoyed by canvassers. They’re everywhere and they’ll try to talk you into giving money to some poor children. You won’t, but they’ll make sure you feel guilty every time you walk past them in the most highly trafficked areas on campus. 

5. Eat at Olive Oil. And disillusion yourself for about 30 minutes that hey, maybe you can eat healthy at college. Realize your mistake later that evening when you scarf down 2 bags of Cheetos and a donut. 

6. Sit by the Koi Pond. And look at all the little fishies and turtles, and relax and enjoy the peacefulness and beauty of campus. 

7. Walk down Montezuma super late at night for the first time and feel really sketched out. This won’t last. Sooner or later you’ll be strutting down these streets like you own them, (which may or may not be a good thing.) 

8. Eat at Trujillos. And be very happy. 

9. Get addicted to Shake Smart. One day, you’ll come out of the gym post workout (or post staring at people’s butts and texting), and you’ll come across Shake Smart. This is how it starts. No one knows how, or if, it ends. 

10. Take a picture at Hepner Hall. It’s the most iconic image of our school and it’s definitely a better contribution to your Instagram than another selfie.   

11. Go to the ER. Hate to break it to you kids, but the ER is a pretty common destination for the average freshman. Try to avoid it, but don’t panic if you find yourself there. Believe me, you won’t be the only freshman to do so. 

12. Go to the 24-hour area of the Love Library. And spend an unhealthy amount of time there subsisting solely on caffeine. 

13. Take a class that is SO easy. Comm 103 anyone?

14. Take a class that is freaking hard. Chem 200 and Stats 119

15. Have a near death encounter. With the bike lane. 

16. Attempt to workout. SDSU has a disproportionate number of fit people, and inevitably you will attempt to be one of them. Whether or not you succeed is up to you. 

17. Have a major related crisis when you realize that your major is completely unemployable or that you hate what you do. Expect 3 or 4 of these. 

18. Interact with people of the opposite (or same) sex. Have fun. 

19. Find a friend with the "fat kid" meal plan and go to cuic after a late night. You probably won’t enjoy the food, but for some reason you’ll keep coming back. 

20. Actually pretend you're sick to avoid going out 4 nights a week. Instead, you watch Netflix in bed. 

21. Hang out with some people that you’ll later realize totally suck. 

22. Find other people that are really great. 

23. Go to the Aquaplex. The Aquaplex is actually great, and this is where you’ll realize that you actually go to school at a resort. You’ll remember that that’s not actually the case when you walk into West Commons. 

24. Subsist on Starbucks and attempt to convince yourself that it is a meal. Particularly because it’s on the meal plan. We have three Starbucks on campus, and one of them is prettier than you are. Chances are you’ll spend more time in Starbucks than you will at the gym. 

25. Have exceptionally awkward interactions with literally every person you don't want to see. For such a big school, you wouldn’t expect to run into people all the time. But you will, excessively frequently.  

26. Actually study. SDSU is the epitome of work hard, play hard.  

27. Deal with the endless struggles that come with being forced to have a twin bed. Along with barely being able to not fall off on your own, this makes overnight guests less enjoyable. 

28. Have a lot of those 2am “What is the meaning of life" conversations. Actually contemplate the meaning of life. 

29. Make friends in the bathroom. When you make a friend in a SDSU dorm bathroom, you know it’s real. 

30. Have the time of your freaking life.