30 Things To Do This Summer Instead Of Watching Netflix

There's more to summer than binge-watching.

209
Neko Tai

Summer is a time to relax and unwind with minimal responsibilities or pressures (or at least, that's the idea). But all too often, I spend my summers binge-watching Netflix and Hulu instead of actually doing things and having fun.

As a recent college grad still looking for a job, I have plenty of time on my hands, and I want to make good use of it. While watching TV is still a valid form of entertainment and way to pass time, I don't want that to be the only thing I do all summer. If you don't either, take a look at your alternative options:

1. Read that book that's been sitting on your shelf.

We all have those books on our shelves that we haven't gotten to yet, but summer is the perfect time to read them. Make a reading list and start at the top.

2. Clean/organize that thing you’ve been wanting to.

For me, it’s cleaning my car, cleaning my room, getting rid of clothes and organizing my closet. Winter break a year and a half ago found me organizing our DVD collection by genre and then alphabetically.

3. Catch up with friends like you’ve been meaning to.

Old high school or college friends or whoever has been texting you that you actually want to hang out with. Make time for them this summer. Go out to coffee or a meal, or do one of the things from this list together.

4. Start a project.

Writing project or any other kind of project. I want to work on my writing portfolio by revising my previous pieces and to get started on new scripts and ideas.

Garden, paint your room, write a book, etc. The possibilities are endless, and it's important to get involved in something that will get you planning, working, and investing your time and resources.

5. Visit a county fair.

Go on rides, eat funnel cakes, play those games that are definitely rigged against you but you keep sinking money into anyway because you want that stuffed monkey. (Confession: I've never actually been to a fair so this description is 100% based off of teen movies I've seen.)

6. Go to the beach.

If you live in the Sunshine State, going to the beach is especially easy. And yet somehow I rarely make it out there during the summer...

7. Go swimming.

At your pool or a friend's pool or the YMCA pool or the springs or any place with water basically.

8. Take a walk or a bike ride.

In Florida, summer heat is unbearable, so while hiking might be fun, going on a bike ride would give you that extra breeze and relief from the heat.

9. Have some kind of water fun day.

I'm talking slip and slides, water balloons, water guns, sprinklers. Go nuts, guys.

10. Bake or cook something new.

Find a recipe, shop for ingredients, and spend a couple hours growing increasingly stressed out and frustrated as your finished product looks nothing like what you saw on Pinterest.

11. Learn a DIY craft.

This one stars the wonders of Pinterest as well. Make a bracelet or photo coaster or whatever your heart desires.

12. Do something artistic.

Paint something, take up pottery, learn how to sew or knit, write poetry, etc.

13. Explore the local library.

Pick out some new reads. (That's what the kids call it, right?)

14. Learn something new.

Learn a language or web design or an instrument. Take up a new sport, like fishing, ice skating, soccer, basketball, baseball, or rock climbing.

15. Go bowling or mini-golfing.

Take a group of friends and go on a deal night. Or on any night if you can afford it, I guess.

16. Volunteer.

Feed the homeless at a soup kitchen or adopt a road or sing at a nursing home. Google "volunteering opportunities" in your county and find out how you can help your community.

17. Make homemade ice cream or popsicles or some other frozen treat.

This will be especially refreshing in the summer heat.

18. Listen to podcasts.

Look at the iTunes Top 10 list or finally get to those podcasts your friend keeps recommending to you.

19. Sunbathe.

Lay out in your backyard, listen to music, and drink some lemonade.

20. Work out.

Start a routine to stick with throughout the summer and go as off as you need to. Don't just go once or whenever you get bored and actually feel like hitting the gym; a routine will be more beneficial to your body in the long run.

21. Have a photoshoot.

Whether it's by using your phone or an actual DSLR camera (or a disposable camera if you want to go grunge), take photos of nature or friends or yourself.

22. Plan a day trip.

Florida apparently has great caves, according to my friend. Plan out a day with your friends to go to an amusement park, tour your city, or hit up the most notable sites in your state.

23. Listen to new music.

Browse Spotify playlists and Daily Mixes or listen to Pandora. Sit and listen to an entire artist's work or a whole album while you read the lyrics.

24. Tie dye shirts.

Turn it into a whole night with your friends, coupling it with movies or baking or games or a dance party.

25. Go to a farmer’s market.

Browse the different vendors and try some food samples.

26. Paint your nails.

Switch things up, whether you normally paint your nails or not.

27. Play board games.

Buy something new from Target or make a game night out of what you have in the hall closet. Play card games, chess, checkers, etc.

28. Go kayaking or tubing or sailing.

Basically just get out on the water. And stay away from sharks! Or alligators. Or manatees. Or whatever could attack and bite you.

29. Take a dance class with friends.

Learn how to salsa or waltz or square.

30. Make your own personalized list of things you want to do this summer.

I wrote mine this week on a Milky pad of black paper with Milky pop gel pens, just to give it that extra summer flair. Write up what you personally want to accomplish or have been meaning to get to, and hold yourself to it.

Summer can still be an adventure, but we have to actually do things outside of watching Netflix.