30 Songs That Were A Clear Indication I’d Grow Up To Be A Strong, Well-Rounded Woman

I'd like to thank not only my parents, but Floyd and Zeppelin for helping me grow into the badass woman I am today.

114
https://www.pexels.com/photo/piled-vinyl-records-with-white-background-48592/

Growing up, I was exposed to all different types of music. Music had a large influence, as I begin to sing and take dance lessons not long after I learned how to walk. I had a clear passion for the arts and naturally picked up rhythm. My dad, who thought it was absolutely necessary my brother and I be cultured in all facets, held what he called "music appreciation days". While my mom went to work, he worked from home so he could stay with us during the day. After breakfast on these days, we would clean the house and blast music, typically to a new artist or band. Keep in mind, my father appreciates surround sound when enjoying movies and music, so it was like attending a live concert in our living room. Each day was like an interactive music history lesson, with music videos and background about the artist, and my brother and I were mesmerized. His music spanned from Frank Sinatra to John Lee Hooker to Led Zeppelin, and so many more. He played us a little of every style and genre. My mom would also play music for us, typically in the car or when cleaning on the weekends. Her music, on the other hand, was more mainstream, top 100 hits, and she loved 80's music. I fondly remember stealing her 80's music to listen to in my hot pink "Princess" CD player at the time…back when the iPod and iPhone were a mere idea in Steve Job's playbook. Regardless of what decade, genre, or artist I was listening to growing up, I have fond memories dancing around my house with wooden spoons and plastic guitars. It truly was never boring.

The influence of music, entertainment, history, and culture in my childhood has continued to have an impact on the woman I am today. My parents have always encouraged learning in all capacities, but also creativity, imagination, and passion. We were never discouraged to invest in something we were passionate about or dedicate time to things outside of our education to further our individual growth. This is just a small glimpse into my life, but I hope it gives insight to not only this multi-faceted playlist, but my warm, imaginative, and open-minded spirit.

Here are 30 songs that I've been jamming out to since I was rocking a onesie:

1. Mambo Italiano — Rosemary Clooney
  2. Stop! In The Name Of Love — Diana Ross & The Supremes
  3. I Got A Woman -- Ray Charles
  4. Believe — Cher
  5. Call Me — Blondie
  6. I Love Rock N Roll — Joan Jett
  7. Highway to Hell — ACDC
  8. Sway (Quien Sera) — Dean Martin
  9. Love Is A Battlefield — Pat Benatar
  10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For — U2
  11. I Got You (I Feel Good) — James Brown
  12. Witchcraft — Frank Sinatra
  13. Don't Worry Baby — The Beach Boys
  14. Your Love — The Outfield
  15. Take It Easy — The Eagles
  16. My Girl — The Temptations
  17. Runnin' Down A Dream — Tom Petty
  18. Ain't No Mountain High Enough — Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
  19. Don't You (Forget About Me) — Simple Minds
  20. Edge of Seventeen — Stevie Nicks
  21. Roam — The B-52's
  22. All My Love — Led Zeppelin
  23. Shoop — Salt-N-Pepa
  24. (Don't Fear) The Reaper — Blue Oyster Cult
  25. Jailhouse Rock — Elvis Presley
  26. More Than A Woman — Bee Gees
  27. If You Had My Love — Jennifer Lopez
  28. Independent Women, Pt. 1 — Destiny's Child
  29. I Will Survive — Gloria Gaynor
  30. Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
P.S. If you needed a good oldies or throwback Thursday playlist, I think you just found it!