3 Things to Help Cheer Up a Friend Going Through Breast Cancer Treatments

Being a good friend

105

Life-saving cancer treatment, although essential, often takes a toll on the person receiving it. Chemotherapy drugs may have harsh side effects that impact the patient's quality of life. Here are things you can do to support a friend who is going through this medical situation.

Learn about breast cancer treatment.

Watch videos, read articles, and visit blogs offering information about various types of breast cancer treatment. The more informed you become, the better you can converse meaningfully with your friend about her diagnosis and the treatment she is going through. She will appreciate your understanding of the side effects and risks associated with the condition and her medical progress. Knowing that you understand her concerns and the potential consequences of the treatment she is receiving will let her know she is not alone and that you can share her journey toward recovery. Share positive statistics and encourage new research developments to give your friend hope without misleading her about the real facts about cancer and available treatments.

Be a good listener.

When a friendship is built on trust and respect, your friend may want to open up about her deepest concerns. Gauge your friend's desire to talk about her illness, the treatment, and related issues like family, work, and the future. Give your undivided attention and ask follow-up questions on topics of special interest to your friend. Revealing strong emotions and giving health updates helps to relieve stress. Ask questions when relevant and offer feedback to show your interest. Avoid pushing your friend to talk about her illness and treatment if she does not want to. Instead, bring up funny anecdotes or offer pleasant memories that the two of you can enjoy. Text or email your friend funny jokes or memes that will make her smile.

Plan fun activities.

When your friend's health permits, arrange some fun things to do. At home, you can give each other a facial or a manicure while trying new products. Cook dinner together by using untried recipes and a seasonal table setting. Attend social events, such as a book club, a concert, or a sports competition. If she feels like staying home, download a new movie to watch or play an old-fashioned board game. Invite other friends over for a catchup visit or a girls' night.

Give your friend the support she needs to get through breast cancer treatment. A positive outlook can enhance the immune system and help to promote a faster recovery while building a lasting friendship that will endure hardships over time.