What I've Learned From Being A New England Transplant

The little differences you may not notice.

68
pexels

As a Florida transplant, there are many things I have come to learn from going to school and living in southwest Florida. In most aspects, the people of southwest Florida are more calm and relaxed, whereas New Englanders are always rushing around and needing what they need right this very moment.

The drivers in southwest Florida are much more calm. In New England, everyone is in such a rush all the time to get wherever they need to go. Every state has their fair share of angry drivers, but New England drivers are pissed off once they get behind the wheel. They don't ever hesitate to lay on the horn or start flipping the bird at the most minor inconvenience. I think that the people of southwest Florida are more relaxed when it comes to driving because so many of them are tourists and don't really care if they get to their destination in a certain amount of time.

Dunkin Donuts is a major key. I had a job in high school where I could look out the window and see a Dunkin Donuts both to my left and to my right. They are so common that there is probably one within walking distance of your house. If you order a coffee in New England, it will be done correctly and be in your hand in a minute and a half. In Florida, you could be waiting a little while. Like I said, people are more laid back and relaxed. Additionally, if you have one of those intricate New Englander orders that you can spit out in half a second, there is a great chance that a Florida Dunkin will get it all wrong.

Last but not least, there are terms and phrases that New Englanders use that are different than Floridians. Some of the things I say leave my Floridian friends wondering what I actually mean. For example, when we go to target, I go get a carriage, whereas my friends call it a cart. When I go to fill up my water bottle, I go to the bubbler, when my friends go to a water fountain. When I see something really cool, I would say it's "wicked awesome" other than "really awesome." They think some of the things I say are weird or quirky, but they are my friends and have accepted me regardless.

While there are these and some other differences between life in New England versus southwest Florida, I've had a great time living in both. Wherever I have been, I have been lucky enough to meet lovely people and make great friends. While these two places have their key differences, wherever I am, I am missing the other.