3 Of The Strangest Conflicts In History

3 Of The Strangest Conflicts In History

People fight, it's natural. People are dumb, also natural. Sometimes, wires get crossed.

32
3 Of The Strangest Conflicts In History

Human history is marked by conflict. Since the harnessing of stone and fire, civilization has been both the birthplace of mass conflict and progress. From clashes to idealism to political affairs or personal grudges, conflict is in our blood. However, stupidity is also in our blood. Inevitably the two can clash from time to time.

1. Australia Loses to Giant Birds

After the First World War many Australian and some British veterans began farming in the area of western Australia. However, these former military men soon found a new conflict and a new enemy: the emu. Large flocks of the birds estimating near 20,000 began to enter the farmlands during the opening years of the 1930s, prompting the farmers to request government assistance in removing the animals. The Australian government decided that the best way to answer an invasion of giant birds was with machine guns. A Major Meredith led the expedition of several men equipped with 10,000 rounds of ammunition to wage war on the giant birds. Unfortunately, grazing had separated the huge flock and the Australian military underestimated their enemies' speed and resilience. Attempts to ambush the emus and herd them into larger groups all failed and numbers remain uncertain on actual number of birds killed. A week later the operation was ended, much to the disappointment of what was supposed to be the greatest hunting trip ever.

2. A War that was shorter than an episode of "Game of Thrones"

Relations between the United Kingdom and Zanzibar Sultanate had soured in 1898 after the death of a supportive regime that favored the Crown. The successor, Sultan Khalid bin Barghash, had apparently broken an agreement in which the British consulate would approve of the next Sultan. As in most conflicts, there were problems. Refusing the British order to stand down, Barghash barricaded himself within his palace with several hundred supporters in order to defend against the incoming enemies. The British force consisted of several hundred men and warships who bombarded the palace and destroyed a large portion of the defense. In a span of 38 minutes the Angelo-Zanzibar War was over and Barghash fled to German East Africa. The conflict left over 500 Sultante defenders dead with only one British sailor injured.

3. A Battle was lost because the General was Sleeping

The Battle of Stirling Bridge occurred in 1297 during the Scottish wars for independence against the English. The combined forces of Andrew Moray and William Wallace defeated the English forces led by John de Warrene, the 6th Earl of Surrey who had been sent to defend the town of Stirling and to possibly set up negotiations. No such luck of course. With both armies positioned on either side of a narrow bridge, Warrene did not attack despite having a superior force because he felt the Scottish would eventually negotiate. On September 11 Warrene suffers the worst morning ever as he sleeps in and finds his army attempting to cross the bridge, which he had to stop them from doing twice. On the third try, seeing that Mel Gibson is indeed not surrendering, he attempts to cross the bridge only to have his forces decimated by a Scottish ambush. Interestingly, King Edward's disliked tax collector, Hugh de Cressingham was leading the forces that crossed the bridge first. It can be believed that he was so hated Warrene didn't bother to help him and simply left with the remainder of his army.