28 Movies To Watch With The Lights ON For Halloween

Grab the popcorn and turn out the lights

79
http://www.learnvest,com

1. Last House on the Left (2009)

Starting off this list is a movie so shocking that it terrified viewers when the Original came out. Last House on the Left is a remake of Wes Craven's from the 1970's. The story focuses on a girl named Mary who gets caught up with the wrong type of people. They end up leaving her for dead and her parents wondering where she is. The criminals end up at the family cabin and what do you think happens next? It is a classic movie on revenge and the bond of family. I believe the remake is a little more shocking and at least you feel good after seeing it.

2) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Sure this is an old movie from the 1950's but it is a classic. Miles in a doctor returning back into town after a doctor convention and a patients waiting for him. He senses something is a little off when people start saying that their loved ones are not who they appear to be. Paranoia was strong during the communist/cold war movement and this is a movie that completely shows that. It's also fearful that the friends and family you love no longer are the same person you knew them as.

3) Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Barbara and Johnny are visiting their Father's grave and what do you know? The dead start rising from their graves and want to eat the living. She ends up running to a farm house where it is occupied by complete strangers also defenseless against the living dead. It is a movie about survival and had actually started the whole zombie movement even though that word is not spoken in this film. Another black and white classic film that will surprise you at the very end.

4) Black Christmas (1974)

A Christmas movie on a list of Halloween films? Even though it is the wrong holiday it is a creepy and unsettling movie. A sorority house is a getting plagued by prank calls by a man called the moaner (Yes, he does that on the phone and much more). One of the sisters ends up missing and the caller refuses to leave them alone. The police wire tap the phone to figure out where the call is coming from and it's somewhere close to home. The movie blends it in with little humorous talks every once and a while but the movie itself is creepy down to the bone.

5) Halloween (1978)

We cannot forget Halloween especially since the title is right in front of our face. The main character Laurie and her friends are stalked by the mysterious Michael Myers. Now I don't want to do too big of a paragraph because the article I'm doing for Halloween is ranking this movie series. Moving forward, it is in film history and is one of the best horror movie out there.

6) Friday the 13th (1980)

Another movie that I have on my last article. Camp Crystal Lake is finally opening and the counselors are more than excited to start it up. Problem is the camp has had different accidents every time it tries to open up. Someone is stalking, watching and waiting for them to meet their demise. With a twist at the end, this movie is probably my favorite horror movie of all time. The scenery, characters and plot all mash together to make it creepy and a classic.

7) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Nancy is having bad dreams and they tend to haunt her wherever she goes. She and her friends are having horrific and realistic dreams that they cannot escape. They come to find out that if you die in your dreams, you die for real. This movie introduced us to a young Johnny Depp and of course Freddy Krueger. It started a whole new scare in horror movies and remains part of the trio (Friday the 13th and Halloween).

8) Fright Night (2011)

I chose once again the remake rather than the Original (I know, I'm a bad person for doing so). Charley has a new neighbor and he is convinced that he is a vampire. Jerry is charming and friendly but something doesn't seem right. He only comes out at night and has a appetite for blood. The reason I chose this one was do to the fact that Jerry the vampire is much different than the one in the original. The character is now calculating and loves playing cat and mouse. If a vampire living next door is bad enough, try having one that loves playing with your emotions.

9) Children of the Corn (1984)

Burt and Vicky end up in a town called Gatlin and something just doesn't seem right. Everything is deserted, there are no people or animals and every once and a while they come across children. Finding themselves trapped, they come to realize that the children follow a man named Isaac and have a thing for killing the adults of the town. Stephen King wrote the short story and it has stuck with people ever since. A town where kids killed their parents and now rule it is a scary situation.

10) The Lost Boys (1987)

Michael and Sam have just moved to Santa Carla California to start a new life after their Mother had gotten a divorce. The place seems a little off but looks like a fun place to spend the summer. When Michael falls in love with a girl, he finds out she has a boyfriend but he is brought into the group. Little does he know they are a pack of vampires that are responsible for the murders around town. He must stop all of them before becoming one himself. This is another person favorite and I swear that I have saw this movie at least 70 times (Oops!)

11) The Craft (1999)

Sarah is the new girl in school and doesn't exactly fit in considering her tragic past. She befriends three girls who are into the dark things in life such as witchcraft. She is quickly brought into the group and all of the girls begin practice magic together. When things get crazy and she crosses her friend Nancy the wrong way, it ends up being three against one. This movie is one that is always fun to watch and makes you want to practice magic as well. Sigh, if only it worked that way.

12) Scream (1997)

This is my second favorite horror movie of all time. Sidney Prescott and her friends are being stalked by a killer on the phone. Two students end up dead after receiving a mysterious phone call. Now Sidney becomes the target of a sinister game where she has to figure out the person behind the mask. The fun part about the movie is when you have to guess the identity and motive of the killer. I will admit that it has been a huge inspiration to my writing and I could watch this movie on loop.

13) I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

Barry, Helen, Julie and Ray are all BFF's and having the time of their lives. After accidentally running over a man, they decide its best to cover their tracks and try to forget about the whole thing. Fast forward a year later where all of them are no longer friends and haunted by what happened. The man they ran over is out for revenge and wants to make them pay for leaving him for dead. After coming out on the heels of Scream, it is a movie that is always worth a watch.

14) The Faculty (1998)

What happens when aliens decide to take over your high school and the town? That is a dilemma that a certain group of students have to face. It is a perfect combination of the Breakfast Club and Invasion of the Body Snatchers that make this movie fun. Stan (The Jock), Stokley (The Loner), Delilah (The Popular ), Marybeth (New Girl), Zeke (Burnout) and Casey (Nerd) all band together to fight of the aliens that are taking over the town.

15) House on Haunted Hill (1999)

A party that is to die for, I literally mean that. Stephen Price is throwing a birthday party for his beautiful wife Evelyn but there is something that isn't right, the guest list is completely wrong. Everyone who was invited is a complete stranger and wants a million dollars as he is offering it if they stay the night. The party is thrown at an old mental institution where there lurks ghosts who are awfully angry. They don't have a choice but to stay as they are trapped inside. It is a delightfully interesting remake that is scary from beginning to end.

16) Jeepers Creepers

Derry and Trish are brother and sister and on a road trip. Their fun is interrupted by a man throwing dead bodies down a large drain. They investigate the figure who is something that isn't human, something that is hungry and on their trail. I have not seen this movie in ages but I still remember the first I had watched it. The man or creature is pretty cool looking and pretty scary.

17) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

A group of friends are on a road trip going to see a band they love live. Along they way they pick up a hitchhiker who commits suicide in their van which makes them have no other choice but to report it to the police. They ended up in the wrong town where there is a sadistic family and a man named Leatherface. The remake in my opinion is much more scary and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The characters you feel bad for especially the main character Erin.

18) Saw II

The second Saw movie is much more graphic and definitely more terrifying. Jigsaw is at it again kidnapping a group of people and one happens to be the detective's son that is on his case. The people must figure out a way to escape before they die from the poison gas they have been inhaling. Watching the needle pit is so hard and the worse it gets for each person in that house. The twist is the best part of any Saw movie and the twist is very bittersweet.

19) The Descent

A group of girls take out one of their close friends after a tragedy involving her husband and child. They decide to go cave exploring as it seems to be all fun and games. Problem is, there are things lurking in the dark and feel threatened by the girls in their territory. If the creatures in this movie don't scare you, the feeling of being stuck in a cave will get to you. I am not claustrophobic but this movie really made me feel like one.

20) All The Boys Love Mandy Lane

Mandy Lane is the girl that all of the boys want. She gorgeous, innocent and sweet plus she never seems to have a boyfriend. After her best friend is branded a murderer from a stunt gone wrong, she ditches him to hang out with the popular kids. They all have a weekend party but guess what happens next? A killer is on the loose and after them. Though it seems cliche, there is not just one but two twists and will surprise you to the fullest.

21) Joy Ride

Brothers Fuller and Lewis are going home from after Lewis bails him out of jail. He is on the way to pick up his crush to make it a wonderful time on the way back. Fuller gets an idea to make a prank call on a CB radio but instead they prank they wrong guy. He is furious at them and begins to toy with them in order to make their lives hell. The cat and mouse pranks are scary and absolutely terrifying when he figures out everything about them. Talk about a road trip from hell.

22) Captivity

An aspiring model named Jennifer thinks she has it all until one night someone slips something in her drink and knocks her out. She wakes up as a captive trapped in a room that is rigged from head to toe. Her kidnapper plays all sorts of mind games that are insane (Watch the dog part, I swear it killed me). A man is in a different room across from her and the two conspire to get out together. As you can tell, I am a sucker for twists and there is one that will blow you away.

23) Prom Night (2008)

Donna is trying her best to get over her family tragedy. Her parents and younger brother were murdered by her teacher that was obsessed with her. It is now prom night and she is visited by those painful memories. While at prom, her obsessive teacher escapes and still is after her. The whole movie is PG-13 and contains hardly any blood but I feel that the movie makes up for it. Johnathon Schaech who plays the teacher is terrific and spooky.

24) The Strangers

James and Kristen are a couple who have fallen out of love. They go to his family's cabin in hopes to rekindle their romance but things don't go as planned. They are stalked and hunted by three strangers wielding weapons and masks. This movie you do not want to watch late at night or even alone because this will scare you to death. The whole movie hardly has any background noise which makes everything in the movie tense. You feel for the characters and pray they will make it out in the end.

25) The House of the Devil

Samantha has just gotten an apartment and needs the money for the rent. She decided to take up a babysitting job and ends up at a spooky looking house. The owners seem friendly yet they don't seem to be all there. The vintage feel of the movie is great as it is set during the 1980's. It is based on all of the cults that took place in that decade and trust me, you need to see this movie.

26) Jennifer's Body

Megan Fox plays Jennifer Check who is drop dead gorgeous in this film (How clever am I?). She and her best friend Needy go see a band play named Low Shoulder at a little bar. Problem is a fire breaks out and Jenn leaves with the band. From that point on she begins acting strange and Needy is convinced that she is a demon from hell. The film is horror mixed with humor and shows a valuable lesson on friendship between girls.

27) Sorority Row

The girls of Theta Phi sorority decide to prank the brother of one of the girls but what do pranks do in horror movies? Go terribly wrong of course. A girl ends up dead and the sisters cover it up and make it look like she had just gone missing. A year later all of them are graduated and a killer is out for revenge after knowing their secret.

28)Dawn of the Dead (2005)

A group of strangers gather in a mall to avoid the zombie outbreak that has happened. What makes this movie great is that the zombies are no longer slow walking, they run fast and I mean you better sprint for dear life. The thing that makes this a great zombie movie is you can feel how terrified and scared all of the characters seem at different points of the movie.