26 Things To Do Over Spring Break If You’re Staying At Home

It's time to relax and spend some time with yourself.

199
Christina Stover

With spring break right around the corner, it’s time to figure out what to do with all this free time. If you’re not among the lucky ones who get to travel to Florida or someplace warm, do not fear. There are a ton of fun things to do at home to keep you busy over that wonderful week.

1. Catch up on Netflix shows and movies

You’ve been busy with classes and homework, so now’s the chance to binge-watch and cross things off your list. And you won’t feel guilty about watching TV when you should be studying.

2. Start a new book series

If you’re like me and have countless of unread books on your shelves, this is how your break will end up going. But what’s better than reading a book you’ll actually enjoy, instead of the dry material in your textbooks? The answer is nothing.

3. Work

With only $3 in your bank account, working might be the best option. Go in for a few hours a day and your bank account will thank you. Plus, you get to see your co-workers again, which is always nice.

4. Or... don't

But on the same topic, you just spent half a semester studying really hard and keeping up with all your assignments. You deserve a break. You’ll come back for the rest of the semester rejuvenated and ready to finish the semester strong.

5. Get ahead, or catch up, on classwork

Or use this time to get classwork done. Read those chapters that were due the second week. Write that ten-page paper due in two weeks. Study for that exam the week you get back. You’re going to have the time, so you mine as well get a few things done!

6. Enjoy the alone time

If both of your parents work full-time, and your siblings have school all day, enjoy the alone time. You’re probably used to having a roommate, so it might be a little lonely, but everyone needs alone time. This is the perfect time to utilize it.

7. Spend the day with your pet(s)

One of the best parts of spring break is seeing your pets. It’s been forever since you last saw them, so go ahead and spend an entire day with them. Take your dog to his favorite park. Cuddle with your cat on the couch. Hang out with your fish. Whatever fits your fancy.

8. Sleep all day

You’re a college student, your sleep schedule is s***. It’s finally time to rest up and try to get your sleep back on a consistent schedule. Or just more than four or five hours a night. Thank God for naps.

9. Treat yourself

Go to your local mall or outlet shopping center and spend a little money on yourself. You deserve it. You made it through half the semester. Only eight more weeks to go, buy yourself something nice to keep the momentum going.

10. Pray it goes by slowly

Breaks always go fast, whether you realize it or not. Hopefully, this one goes by “slower” and you get a chance to enjoy your time off.

11. HouseParty your college friends and roommates because you miss them

Over winter break, my friends left two days before me, and hours after they left, we were on HouseParty. You get so used to seeing these people everyday and living with them that it’s weird when a break interrupts that. At least there are video chat apps that allow you to remain in contact.

12. Take some day trips

Just because you didn’t go somewhere exotic, does not mean you can’t go somewhere local. Drive a few hours to a town you’ve been wanting to walk around and make a day out of it. Take pictures of your little quest and post them as if you were actually on vacation. No one will know the difference.

13. Visit friends who aren't on spring break

Hop in your car and visit your friends who go to school in different cities. They might not have as much free time as you do, but that doesn’t mean you won’t have fun. Plus, you get to see your friend for the first time in a while.

14. Work on your beach body for the summer

Get a head start on toning your body for the summer. Start that intense workout regime and get active. You’ll look and feel great. Especially when you’re rocking it at the beach this summer.

15. Enjoy family time

During this break, you’ll actually get to spend some time with your family. It’ll be nice to catch up and tell them about what’s going on in your life. You can never have too much family time.

16. Start your great American novel

Start writing a novel over the break. You probably won’t finish it but get those creative ideas on paper and maybe one day you’ll see your book in a bookstore.

17. Ride your bike

Fingers crossed this break has nice, sunny weather. And if so, take a bike ride around your neighborhood or on a trail somewhere local. It’ll be nice to get outside and enjoy the fresh air.

18. Visit a relative

It’s probably been a little while since you’ve seen some relatives. So, spend the day hanging out with them. Take them to lunch. Or to a movie. Or you can help them around their house. They’ll appreciate you visiting them and helping them out.

19. Volunteer at your church

Doing good for your community is always rewarding. Why not help out at your church during this week? You’ll feel great about volunteering and they’ll appreciate the help.

20. Go swimming

Go to your local recreation center or waterpark and spend the day swimming. If you try hard enough, you might even be able to pretend you’re in the warm ocean waters.

21. Spend a day baking

Baking is always fun. Whether you make something from scratch or a box, doesn’t matter. As long as you’re having fun and making enough to share with the fam, you’re all set.

22. Go to a museum

I love spending time at the Art Museum in my hometown. I always have a fun time. Maybe switch things up and go to the Natural History Museum or a science center. It’s informational and enjoyable.

23. Have a bonfire

Bonfires are always a good way to spend the evening, as long as the weather permits it. You get to hang out with people close to you and roast marshmallows. It’s beginning to look a lot like summer.

24. Go bowling

Bowling is a great way to spend a day. Grab your sibling or friend and take them bowling. Play a couple games, buy the greasy food. Make a little friendly competition. Sounds like a great day!

25. Have a game night

Play board games or the Wii to switch things up. Board games are so lit and so much fun. It’s a great way to have some family-bonding time. It just depends which games you play.

26. Spend the day at the movie theater

There are some pretty good movies out. Spend the day just watching movie after movie. That sounds like an awesome way to spend a day. Just make sure you actually pay for each ticket, and not movie-hop.