25 Things I Have Learned Since Coming To Missouri State

Bear Up and enjoy it while it lasts

66
Alexa DeClue

I think it is safe to say, we’ve all been there. We came to college not knowing what we needed to bring or what to expect. But through trial and error, we started to figure things out bit by bit. Here are 25 things that I have learned since coming to Missouri State.

1. I didn't need half of the clothes I brought

I thought, why not bring all of my clothes because I never know what I'll need. I quickly learned that I did not have enough closet space or patients to deal with that many clothes. And the obvious reason, I didn't wear half of them

2. Plastic Silverware is a must

Picture it, you're making your Easy-Mac. The microwave ding just went off and you take the cup out of the microwave. You then proceed to pour the cheese powder in and CRAP!! How the heck are you supposed to stir the cheese in? Freshman year made it clear to me that plastic silverware can save lives, because for some reason you are always hungry.

3. Guard your food with your life

Food is hard to come by when you get to college. Your bank account is in the single digits and your only prayer is that you have some food that you can scrape together to make a meal. Especially freshman year, I had to hide my food away because sometimes things would go missing. Your food is your livelihood, don't ever loose sight of it.

4. College isn't as glamourous as people made it out to be

College is going to be the best years of your life they said. It will be fun they said. It was fun for about two seconds and then I was drowning in homework. My mental health is questionable some days but I press on because one day I will graduate and have to be an adult and do adult things.

5. Boys are still really immature

The hope was that I would get to college and BAM! Boys would magically have grown up and become decent human beings. I wasn't totally wrong. Because there are good guys out there, they are just all taken. You're still boys because all you care about is partying and sleeping around. I'll just be waiting over here until you decide to grow up.

6. You're going to lose really good friends

Once you leave home and your friends, it makes it really hard to stay in contact. Those people that really mean something and want to be a part of your life will make it a priority to be in your life. But you will make new friends that can be pretty amazing.

7. Sorority life isn't for everyone

I didn't think that sorority life was going to be anything when I came to college. And it became a really important part of my life. But for others it didn't and that's okay. Being around that many girls and making that kind of time commitment isn't for everyone.

8. RAIN GEAR!!!

It floods in Springfield and that is no exaggeration. Rainboots, a rain jacket, and umbrella are required to even think about staying somewhat dry. I have also thought on occasion that I need to water proof my backpack because I cannot tell you how many times I have shown up for class and the contents of my backpack have been soaked. Maybe also bring a kayak.

9. Sleeping does not exist during finals

Fire up your Keurig because you don't have time to sleep. That certain grade is depending on you to keep that grade you need in the hardest class you have ever taken. And don't get afraid if you see someone passed out on the floor or a couch at the library, it's normal.

10. There is no such thing as too many sticky notes

These are your lifeline to survival. Take as many notes as you want, I am not going to judge you. Fake it till you make it, am I right?

11. The freshman 15 is no joke

Eating bad becomes so easy because all the bad stuff is all so cheap. The dining hall makes it so easy to get that piece of pizza and then go to the ice cream machine for the second round. And then after you ingest all of that food, you don't have as much time to go to the gym. Hello, fat that has never been there before.

12. People still don't know how to use microwaves

Burnt popcorn. Easy-Mac that was burnt because someone didn't put water in it. These things lead to smells that you wish you never smelt and having to have a fire drill. I didn't think using the microwave was that hard...

13. There is never any parking

Enrollment is always growing and that means more people parking on campus. And it is always so great when there is also a conference going on on campus as well. Then you have to drive around for 30 minutes trying to follow people to their cars so that way you can get a spot.

14. The fountain is a magical experience

One of the worst parts of the year is when the school has to turn off the fountain. I swear just looking at that fountain can make all your troubles go away. Just looking forward to the spring when they turn the fountain back on and things go back to normal.

15. Homework will be turned in at 11:59 p.m. even though you think you will be on top of your life

I always have these great aspirations of turning things in early and staying on top of things. HA HA, that almost never happens because something either takes way longer than I think it will, something comes up, or I just want to watch Netflix instead. But all that matters is that it got turned in on time. Even it that means turning it a minute before it is overdue.

16. Staying up late studying for finals will bring you closer to people

It's 2 a.m. and you're not thinking straight but all you know is that you need to stay up and cram more information into your already overloaded brain. But for some reason, once that clock gets passed those wee hours in the morning, you just start pouring out this super personal stuff about yourself to whoever you are with.

17. Squirrels on campus are fearless

You're texting on your way to class and then you see something dart across your field of vision. It was probably a squirrel and it probably stopped right in front of you. These Missouri State squirrels are not afraid of anything and it's a little terrifying. College squirrels are their own breed.

18. Missouri State accepts everyone for who they are

I think very few people feel like they don't belong at Missouri State. Everyone is so caring of others and accept all viewpoints. Like we just got a gender neutral bathroom, that's pretty freaking amazing.

19. The Bearline saves lives but also ruins them

When you time the Bearline just right, you can get right on and make it on time to that class you never thought you were going to make. But sometimes the Bearline fails us. Like at shift change when I am on the bus an extra 10 minutes, which makes me extremely late to my next class.

20. The Bookstore is a dangerous place

There are so many great things at the Bookstore. You can take one look at a shirt and believe that you cannot go on unless you purchase it. Then you walk out with three things in your bag and wonder how things turned out this way. So if you don't need to go into the bookstore, avoid it like the plague unless you have that kind of money to blow.

21. Taco Bell is a savior in disguise

It's close. It's cheap. It's open late. Could life get any better? Just watch out, it is a drunk hangout Thursday and Friday nights.

22. We are in the Bible Belt and some people won't let us forget that

If you are in Missouri, it is nothing new when you hear someone yelling at you for being a slut or unworthy of God's love. We have all learned to tune them out and continue on with our day to the best of our abilities. But in our head's we are all thinking, "shut up and go home. No one cares".

23. Humans Vs Zombies is a normal campus event

If you hear yelling and then see a big crowd of people, it is Humans Vs Zombies season. And it is not that unusual to see abandoned nerf gun pellets scattered throughout campus.

24. I found my home away from home

Never in a million years did I think that I would feel so at home without actually being home. The Campus is inviting and the people are pretty great too.

25. Missouri State is the best college ever

Bear up and don't forget to Follow Your Passion and Find Your Place. Or for you weirdo's, Make Your Missouri Statement