In this day in age, relationships are quite different than they used to be. In the past, people courted each other, took time to know one another and had dates -- not just hangout sessions. As time continues on, the dating culture has changed immensely. Today, it seems the dating scene moved to the hookup scene. It is rare to find someone who wants more than just a hookup here and there, or one and done. Very little do you see the old way of courtship. Is it too much to ask for the old way of dating back? Where are the gentlemen and polite acts? Interactions have changed, relationships have changed and nothing is quite the same anymore.

"Back in the day" were times of healthy, lasting relationships that were good. There may have been a few that were not how they are supposed to be, but that few wasn't the majority you see today. It seems to be the norm to have an unhappy relationship or ones that end, including many marriages. People go from person to person trying to find happiness and some just don't seem to get there. Not everyone wishes for this type of relationship, some don't mind a casual hookup or dating for a few weeks. Me personally? I'm looking for something good, something that will last, a relationship where I can be happy. The reason I am so picky about this may be because I have the best example of what a relationship should be in life, my parents.

Just this week they celebrated their Silver Anniversary. That's 25 years! 25 years is a long time, but my parents have spent this together and are still in love at each moment of the day. This is why I will not ask for anything less. While I have always had a great model of what a happy relationship should be, not everyone has. After thinking about this for a little while I asked them what made their relationship so special and how it has continued to work day in and day out. When I asked them, they had to really think because it was just second nature to them. After consideration, they provided me with 25 tips to a good relationship in honor of their 25 and more amazing years together.

1. Share everything.

2. Always involve each other in decisions, big or small.

3. Don't ever go to bed angry. (This is difficult sometimes.)

4. Laugh together, cry together, have fun together.

5. Include extended family in life events.

6. Have a sense of humor.

7. Have patience whenever you can, not everything in life is easy.

8. A relationship is a job, not a hobby. You have to work at it in order to make it work.

9. Discuss what you want in your relationship before you begin one.

10. Trust one another.

11. Take advice and criticism at the same level.

12. Try to look at things with a positive aspect.

13. Make sure to have common interests.

14. Allow a person to continue to have their own time and space.

15. Remember that not everything is in your hands to control.

16. Don't let money overshadow the more important things in life.

17. Make time for just the two of you each day (excluding all outside sources, ex. technology).

18. Happiness isn't always about you, there is another person in your life to please.

19. Support each other's passions, goals, achievements.

20. Plan date nights as time goes on, so not to let life take over things.

21. Talk about everything, communication and honesty is key.

22. Take lots of pictures to save memories.

23. Treat each other from time to time.

24. Have a stress relief together (ex. exercise, crafts, etc.).

25. Make each other smile every day.