23 Things Every 20-Something Needs To Hear

Everyone feels lost from time to time.

126
Unsplash

The day I turned 23 could have been better.

I was excited my birthday had arrived, and blessed to have been able to make it another year. However, I felt as though I wasn't doing enough, wasn't where I should have been, and wasn't working hard enough. I was still healing from past mistakes, working through struggles, and trying to balance the end of my college career, a relationship that wasn't flourishing, and the responsibilities that come along with 'adulting.'

It took me a long time to come to terms with where I had been, where I was at, and where I was headed. Though I'm nowhere close to where I want to be, I had a thought: "Maybe that's the point." I figured, if I'm feeling this way then there must be others who are feeling the same. So, here are 23 things every 20-something needs to hear right now:

1. You have time.

When you're 20-something you start to feel like you're running out of time, but reality is that you have so much time left. Time to fail, and time to succeed. Time to travel down memory lane, and time to make new memories. Time does fly by, but we can also slow time down in our minds for just a moment.

2. You can't rush love.

Stop settling for the relationship you know isn't going anywhere. Stop accepting love from people you'd never fall for. Don't be desperate, be intentional. Waiting and not settling will be so worth it.

3. Loneliness won't last forever.

Transitioning back home after college, or moving into adulthood post college life are both challenging. This phase of life is one of the loneliest -- you're away from your college friends, sometimes distant from your family, and you find yourself doing a lot more on your own. Embrace it, and remind yourself this is only a season...you won't be alone forever.

4. The right job will come along.

It's OK to be stuck in a job you don't love, to be in a stuffy office, or to be in an entry level position doing mediocre tasks to pay the bills. Be patient, try to get your foot in the door to your dream career, take chances, and give yourself time...the right job will come along, just keep pursuing it.

5. You will fall in love again.

Once you've been in love and it's crashed and burned you fear you'll never feel that way for someone else ever again. Have no fear! They'll come along, and it'll be better than before. Give yourself time to heal, and allow yourself to move on.

6. You'll forgive yourself and be OK with you again.

We've all made mistakes and have done things we wish we could take back. It's time to forgive yourself and move past the hurt. Forgiveness is a choice. Make the choice to forgive and your feelings will catch up with you.

7. Your parents just want the best for you.

Moving back in with your parents and following their rules when you just had a ton of freedom for four years of college can be tough. Hearing them out when they give you advice is important. After all, they only want what's best for you.

8. It's OK to be disappointed in yourself.

Take the time to be disappointed in yourself, but don't stay there. Choose to move forward and be the best version of yourself each and every day.

9. It's OK to be disappointed with your current situation.

So you don't have the job you wanted right out of school, you haven't settled down with the love of your life, and you aren't feeling successful in any aspect of your life? Me either! Remember- this is just a phase. Not being content with where you are could be a sign that you're driven and know you deserve better. Work to get there one day at a time.

10. Living at home with your parents has its perks.

You have a place to call home, a roof over your head, food on the table, and a built-in support system. Choose to be satisfied with that and get yourself set-up for a successful future.

11. You need to be entirely yourself.

Pretending to be someone you're not, or mimicking someone else who you define as successful, will only drive you crazy. Be you! After all, you're one of a kind and you're brilliant just the way you are.

12. Say 'No' if you think you should.

We tend to be people-pleasers We sign up for daunting tasks just so we don't let others down. It's time you learn to say 'no' if you need to.

13. Sometimes you have to speak up.

Stand up for yourself and what you believe in. Be the voice for someone or something that can't speak for itself. Be bold and confident...you won't regret it.

14. You can choose not to be embarrassed.

Your situation is unique to your life. No one gets to judge the path you're on or the direction you're heading in. Choose to be happy with where you're at and where you're headed. Don't let the haters get you down!

15. You're not 16 anymore, and neither is your body.

Start eating healthier--you'll feel better. Let's face it...you're a bit past the double whopper stage.

16. Working out will actually make you feel better.

Exercising regularly pumps endorphins through your body and allows you to sweat out the bad and build up the good. You'll have more energy and feel more positive about life.

17. Change is inevitable.

We all hate change, and it can be difficult to deal with at times. But, if we remind ourselves that change is unavoidable, we'll feel better about the changes that come our way, transition easier, and look forward to the ones that move us closer to our goals.

18. It's time to cut yourself some slack.

20-somethings are experts at setting the bar high and being disappointed when the goal isn't reached. Set realistic goals, realize all of the transition you're going through in this phase of life, and be proud of yourself...even if it's just for a few minutes.

19. Everyone makes mistakes.

You're not alone in the land of screwing up, and this won't be the last time you make a huge mistake. Making mistakes is a part of life, but it's also how we learn. Don't dwell on your mistakes. Instead, learn from them and vow to never make the same mistake again.

20. It's OK to be scared.

This is a terrifying part of life. We are unsure of where we're headed, who we'll end up with, and what our futures will look like. Being scared is natural, and it allows us to pay attention to the choices we're making. Just keep your goals in the forefront of your mind and keep moving towards them.

21. Leaving people behind is sometimes completely necessary.

Saying goodbye to those we care about is often a difficult but necessary step. If you know it's what's best for you, or even for them, it's OK to walk away. It may hurt a lot, but eventually you'll heal and move on.

22. It's time to stop playing the game of comparisons.

This is something I must remind myself of daily. Comparing yourself to those around you, siblings or other family members, or even friends, is nothing but toxic. You are where you are for a reason, and you are not supposed to be living someone else's life because you have your own life to lead. Be content with where you are, and remember that you have time to get where you want to be.

23. Stop being your own worst enemy.

We are experts at playing mind games with ourselves. We often ask ourselves 'what if,' or struggle through how different our lives would be if we made a different choice. The truth is that only you can stop you from achieving your goals. No one else has the power to do so, as you have the power to remove the roadblocks (even if they're people) that are slowing down your progress. Get out of your own head and believe in yourself.

My recommendation? Save this list for later. You may need it sooner than you think.