Your transition into college is a hard one, no doubt, but it hardly makes it easier when your teachers, parents, and advisors try to prepare you for "what’s out there." Take their pieces of advice to heart, but what really counts is the advice from students who are living what you’re about to live. I asked 23 current college freshmen from different schools what advice they had for incoming freshmen.

1. "Always look for the positives in people, even if they drive you crazy. Building relationships has been the most important part of my college career so far!" - M.L.

2. "Don't abuse your new use of free time, it'll hurt you more than help you." - K.L.

3. “Stop trying to figure everything out; sometimes things just work or don’t work and it’s completely out of your control.” - G.H.

4. “Get to know your teachers personally, go to office hours!” - C.F.

5. “Things pile up but don't stress too much. You are strong and you will get through the worst of it.” - I.W.

6. “Don't be afraid to try new things all over campus!” - S.L.

7. "Push yourself to be social." - P.P.

8. "Don't let the excitement of college get in the way of school, be smart and remember what you came for!" - J.U.

9. "Try to choose the healthier option in dining halls." - K.P.

10. "You don't have to be best friends with your roommate, you just have to live together." - J.F.

11. "It's easy to get overwhelmed by how much new stuff there is and it's easy to get distracted, but you should always place academics first." - R.C.

12. "Don’t be afraid to do what is best for you! Do what you need to take care of yourself and don’t worry what other people may think!" - V.S.

13. "College isn’t going to be fun all the time: you learn to ride with the ups and downs and appreciate the journey." - M.N.

14. "Get yourself out there and get involved with the campus community, but don’t forget that it is okay to spend time alone." - M.G.

15. "Get involved, don’t sit in your dorm all day." - B.F.

16. "Your first year is a transition and it’s okay if you don’t do as well as you did in high school during your first year of college." - R.B.

17. "Make sure you get involved and take it one day at a time!" - A.W.

18. "Don't knock something before you try it!" - C.W.

19. "Take advantage of free learning resources like the Center for Student Learning and your professor's office hours ." - J.L.C.

20. "Don’t be afraid to be homesick, everyone feels that way, you’re not alone!" - L.C.

21. "Know that it's okay to fail as long as you're doing your best." - W.D.B.

22. "Get organized and keep up with your syllabus (use a desk calendar!) but don't forget to schedule in social time because college is full of it!" - D.S.

23. "Not everything is going to go the way you planned and you may start a path only to realize it’s a dead end, but don’t let that get you down because those experiences will strengthen you so you can take whatever comes at you after college!" - G.B.

As long as you take care of yourself, try new things, and keep an open mind to new experiences, your first semester of college will be successful.