22 Tips For Incoming Freshman, From A Graduate Student

It's OK to be undecided in your major.

32

A second-year student will already have first-hand knowledge of what it's like to be in your first year, since they were just in that position the year before. Here are 22 tips that they would give first-year students, but not in any particular order. Pass it on.

1. Be excited to be at school.

There will be a feeling of surrealism when you're in your first class, but when you're in your first class, you'll see a room full of people who are feeling the same way that you feel. They've got the nerves too. But once you get it out of the way, you'll know why you're there and you'll notice that you belong there.

2. It's OK to be undecided in your major.

As a 17 or 18-year old freshman, you're just coming off of high school where your education was a general one. You've got four solid years ahead, so knowing (right now) what you want to do once you graduate isn't yet your top priority.

3. EXPLORE!

Again, you'll feel like the college experience is surreal at the start, but when you explore, you'll be able to get a clearer image of what your niche is supposed to be. If you think a fraternity or sorority is interesting, or that International club at school is interesting, attend an information meeting, and do feel encouraged to be talkative and meet new people. Also, when you're taking your first few classes at college, they'll likely count as elective credits toward your degree since they fulfill various requirements.

4. Go out as much as you can during your first year.

When you're at college, your experience is what you make it to be. This tip isn't just about parties though; feel free to go out to sporting events, attend a show, watch people sing karaoke at the bar, or go to a game night. These are all opportunities to enjoy in your first year and you'll also realize what you can or can't do over the course of your college career.

5. Be friends with your roommate.

This person, if you develop a close rapport with, you'll be able to have a lifelong friend and someone who you'll consider living with for the rest of college. This person may be someone you vent to after a rough day, or someone who you give a big hug to since you both got admitted to the same study-abroad program.

6. Do go to the career center/career fair during your first year.

Your experience is what you make it to be, so if that involves getting an internship for the summer after your freshman year, go for it! Nobody is telling you not to try for it. It's also a great idea to go and have a simple discussion, since it creates a new connection, and you can get some valuable information and advice from a career coach. You can also ask them questions, and even attend a career fair.

7. Set up a workout schedule.

It's not required that you work out at the same time every day of the week, but it's a great idea to set aside some time to get that exercise in, even if it's just for a few minutes. It takes dedication, but if you can be dedicated to your coursework, you can be dedicated to exercise too.

8. Stick to your typical meals.

I know the food's not the same, but don't go on autopilot and pig-out on the pasta or the chicken broccoli bake every time it's offered. One thing you'll hear about is the "Freshman 15", where a first-year student typically gains 15 pounds during the school year. What I'm saying is, enjoy food like you have before, but do what you did before you got to college, which was most likely controlled and balanced.

9. Try to find a work opportunity at school.

Regardless of what kind of work it is, whether it's being a server at a restaurant, working in the dining hall, being a caterer, barista, research assistant, or a receptionist, go for it since it's never too early to build that resume and work experience.

10. Focus on your academics.

The main reason you're in college is because you're there to get a degree. When you work towards your degree, academics are at the top of the priority list, even when you're involved in a multitude of other clubs.

11. Build a LinkedIn profile.

Even if you haven't had a significant work experience yet, the fact you have already built one means you're a step ahead of most of your class.

12. Have a solid relationship with your Resident Assistant.

Your R.A. is one of the people that is working to optimize your first-year experience. If you get along well with him or her, you're doing the right thing and actually building strong communication skills.

13. Vote.

During your college years, you'll only get to do this one time.

14. Consider spending the summer at your university town.

Also consider taking summer classes during this time. During the summer, a small percentage of the student body is actually in the city, so it's all-you-want kind of experience.

15. Give dating a try.

Aside from meeting new people, don't be afraid to try to date in college. It's not going to work for everybody in the way they expect, but every experience, as good or bad as it went, is a learning lesson. You may be busy and have a hard time making time for it, but you're not actually too busy to try it. Be open to it since the college experience is what you make it to be.

16. Be respectful.

When you meet new people, it's important to know that they are around your age, they come from a variety of locations, and are diverse. Also, know when to say, or not say controversial words.

17. Play an intramural sport.

Intramural sports are a great way to relieve stress, be active, and make new friends. It also teaches you how to conduct yourself with other team members and those who you're working with.

18. Do volunteer work.

There's no better feeling than the feeling that you have when you've made a huge impact in the community, whether that's building a home, donating blood, or volunteering at a local clinic. You've done work in the community and that says a lot about your personality and attitude.

19. Attend your professor's office hours.

Academics can become a bit of a struggle in your first year, and it's important to seek help when it's needed most. Professors make themselves available for that very reason, so take advantage of your time by meeting with them to be the best student you can be.

20. Bring appropriate attire for the weather.

Especially if you attend school in the Midwest, there are going to be extreme weather conditions, especially in the winter months. Be sure to have a South Butt with you.

21. Be intentional with every experience you go through.

A big part of your first year of college will be what you learn from your choices that you make, and you want to have as many learning opportunities as possible. That's how you grow not just as a student, but as a person.You'll get closer to finding who you are in your first year. So,...

22. Don't have any regrets.

You already took the first step, which was choosing the university you want to attend. But if you experience anything that ever makes you want to leave or if it makes you uncomfortable, don't feel obligated to stay. You made a learning experience out of an uncomfortable situation by learning about what you actually need when you're at college and aim to find a place that provides it. On the other hand, if you've had a great time and enjoyed your time at your chosen university, by all means, stay and come back for more.