22 Things I HOPE To Already Know By 22

22 Things I HOPE To Already Know By 22

Another 22-something list.

58
22 Things I HOPE To Already Know By 22
Unsplash

The month of Sagittarius' is fast approaching and I'm honestly not sure how to feel about that.

Below is a list of things I think I should already know by the time I turn the ripe old age of 22 and how I can possibly prolong the age for as long as possible.

1. Rumor has it hangovers are about to get real bad, REAL FAST.

It's bad enough that my tolerance for drinking has gone down tremendously but now that the burden of gruesome hangovers is hanging over my head, it doesn't really make a good case for turning 22.

2. Finally cutting the cord with the, honestly, horrible people in your life.

This goes for both myself and my friends and family. Good-for-nothing boyfriends, backstabbing friends and trifling family members.

3. The next five years is somewhat clear to me.

This doesn't mean I have to know what I'm doing exactly five years from now but I do have a foggy image of what I wish to be doing and what road I hope to be going down to reach my end goal.

4. I'll probably be in school for awhile after undergrad.

And that's okay. One of the most vital things I've learned in my life is that time is one giant concept and that's all. It's whatever you want to do with it and you have literally all the time in your life to finally decide on what you truly want to do with it. Once you know the ways in which you wish to make use of said time, you're set.

5. You'll find out a lot by working in the service industry.

I say this from working my second restaurant hostessing job at 21, some of the rudest people will come to eat where you work and you'll thank God that you don't know these people personally.

6. New age, new drink of choice.

Apparently turning 22 means you're at the age where Vodka and Monster mixed together isn't an appropriate drink of choice anymore? Who knew?

7. You'll know what a quarter-life crisis feels like.

It's a period of time in your early twenties when the feeling of being "stuck" takes on an entirely new meaning.

8. Maybe a quarter life crisis can happen more than once.

And if that's the case, I'd like a punch in the face to warn me of what's about to come... again.

9. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

This goes for almost every aspect in your life, including being friends with someone you don't enjoy being around, staying in a highly toxic relationship or majoring in a major you have less than zero interest in. If I'm turning 22 and even an inkling of control over something, it'll be who I choose to and not to spend my time with.

10. I'm not like anyone else.

It's extremely easy to compare oneself to another person's successes and to beat yourself up from there but that'll accomplish nothing. Take it from me, I'm surrounded by the brightest of bulbs, the fittest of people and if I spent all my time listing off reasons in my head why I couldn't be as smart or pretty as them all I'd never get anything done.

11. A lot of boys naturally suck so keep your girlfriend's close to you.

This won't ever change.

12. Pictures say a thousand words.

Taking pictures was completely okay at 21 and they'll be just as okay at 22, 23 and 24.

13. The same goes for the fact that some things are beyond your control at 21 and those things will still be beyond your control at 22.

14. Neither of us will magically come into money.

We'll be broke at 22 and probably for the next few years after that and that's okay because good things are going to come after those few years.

15. If love didn't ruin me for my 21 years of life, it won't start at 22.

I've learned to be happy with myself first before any guy ever had the chance to make me happy and that's the way it should. Another human being should never make up your happiness and if that's the case, I just don't know.

16. Life is a rat race but patience is key.

I definitely want to jumpstart my career as a PA like right now but it's basically a fact that I literally cannot right now and there's comfort in knowing that everyone else going down this same path can't jump start anything either.

17. You'll fail at different things at 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25.

18. Disappointment in oneself means there's something out there you care enough about to feel disappointed.

19. Giving myself a break, I'm still in my early twenties.

20. Losing close (or not as close) friendships is a way of life, especially during this crucial point of our lives.

21. As much as I'd love to do it, there is no saving people.

Friends and family in horrible relationships and forcing people to do the right thing- there's no forcing it and there's no saving people from doing the wrong things.

22. What I know for a fact is that I really don't want to turn 22.