22 Pieces Of Wisdom For The Class Of 2022

Here's a list of tips, tricks, words of advice and comfort to ease you into one of the biggest transitions you'll even encounter in your lives.

264

As I begin to start packing up items from my dorm, and say goodbye to the professors and classes I frequented and walk around my college campus for one last time, I realize that there are many things I wish I had known before entering freshman year of college. These four years are meant for you to grow, change and experience the world for the first time on your own, and at times, can be a little intimidating. As I look back on my first year, I wouldn't change a thing as I developed the life skills, independence and freedom that makes me who I am today. So, Class of 2022, I've compiled a list of tips, tricks, words of advice and comfort to ease you into one of the biggest transitions you'll even encounter in your lives.

1. With great freedom comes great responsibility.

That being said, even though you could skip your 8 A.M. class every day for two weeks in a row or black out every other night, I recommend you don't. At first, college seems amazing because you're truly on your own; no one is really on your case and you have to make a lot of decisions by yourself. Gauge your time and how much you can handle and you'll be fine.

2. You might have a breakdown in the library in times of stress, and that's okay.

To get right to it, college is stressful. You're probably paying thousands of dollars as an investment for your future, and you're under a lot of pressure to make the most of it. Balancing your social life, schoolwork, extracurriculars, a job and more can get to you so it's okay to cry it out once in a while -- it doesn't mean you're weak, and know these tense periods in college don't last forever!

3. Office hours are your best friend.

Although it's hard to make time to stop by your professor or TA's office hours, I highly recommend you do this! Not only do you get to interact with academic professionals and receive words of wisdom ten times better than what I'm giving you right now, but if you're ever having a rough time in a class, professors will be more willing to devote time to helping you out if they see you're really engaged with the class you're taking.

4. Do something nice to your roommate once in a while.

Throughout your freshman year, your roomie will probably see you at your best and your worst. Thank him or her for tolerating you for a year by randomly doing the dishes when she's busy, leave nice notes to crack a smile, or simply ask him or her how their day went.

5. Attend on-campus events hosted by university organizations!

There are countless events held every week, and even every day on campus for all types of interests, people, etc. Even if your schedule is super packed, make time to go to these! Whether it's a play, a free dance class or a motivational speaker, you're bound to not only learn a thing or two or meet new people but there's probably free food; don't pass on that.

6. Make class-wide study guides for exams.

I think the most prominent times that I've seen students come together lies around exam time. Collaborative study guides will save your life, in all honesty. Working together to gather all the necessary information compiled in a GoogleDoc is not only genius, but so effective for clarifying concepts you may have missed in class.

7. Befriend your RA.

Resident advisors (RAs) are super nice and not only are great resources on campus, but can be great friends too. Don't be afraid to stop by and say hi as typically their doors are open to anyone!

8. Give yourself some self-care time every day.

You heard me, I am sure you can find 30-45 minutes a day to do something relaxing for yourself, like go to the gym, do yoga, meditate, or even nap. Giving yourself time to relax and rejuvenate will help you be more productive, happy, and will make your busy schedule slightly easier to bear. This segways into to my next point...

9. Get your sleep!

Honestly, I never got the proper amount of sleep in college which is terrible, but true. I wish I did however, because the days I would sleep too late I ended up sleeping through my first two classes (whoops). Getting more sleep is something I wish I had pushed and I encourage you to do the same.

10. It's okay to have a night in when everyone else is going out.

I think that many freshmen suffer the false feeling of obligation that they need to be doing something fun and social at all times. FOMO is felt heavily among students especially in today's times where everyone's daily activities are plastered all over social media, but it's important to tell yourself that it's okay to have a night in and relax even if everyone's out -- you deserve it!

11. Going to the dining hall in your pajamas is totally acceptable.

It happens.

12. There will be days where you miss your hometown.

Although what you call home may temporarily turn from home-cooked meals in your family kitchen to eating Chinese takeout on the floor of your dorm room, you will still miss home. I live pretty close to campus, I still go weeks without going back and embracing the true feeling of true comfort.

13. There will be days where you miss your friends back home.

Don't hesitate to give them a quick call, text, or twitter DM with your favorite meme to keep in touch!

14. Invest in a sandwich maker for your dorm.

I don't even know if one of these are allowed in most dorms due to potential fire hazards, but trust me it will get you through the munchies you might get from late night studying, or just randomly throughout the day. They're great if you want to eat for cheap!

15. FT/Call your parents and other family members from time to time.

You know you miss their home cooking and your mom doing your laundry, and you probably miss you too! They'll give you great words of advice and encouragement to get you through the semester.

16. Make use of amenities such as free on-campus gym membership!

Prevent the Freshman 15 and make use of the free gym you have on campus. Staying in shape will not only help you look good but going to the gym is a great break from studying during the day.

17. Explore all parts of your college campus.

There are probably restaurants, museums or gardens on or near your campus that you should totally check out. Being a tourist in your own campus will make you appreciate it that much more.

18. Don't get discouraged over a bad grade or two.

Granted it's super stressful when you're not doing as well as you expected, but it's okay --- it's freshman year, and you always have room to improve. I wish I kept this in mind more as the pressure to compete academically with your peers carries on sometimes to college, but remember: everyone has their own path to their academic success, and road bumps along the way is okay.

19. It's okay to feel socially lost at first.

A lot of freshmen have high expectations about finding their social niche on campus. This can take some time, as lots of people are in the same boat as you, exploring their new environment and the people they want to interact with. Social life is important, but don't stress over it too much as a lot of people may feel lost as well.

20. Be safe in any environment.

Whether it's when walking back from a late-night class or off to a frat party, always be safe. Anything can happen at any time, so make sure your aware of your surroundings at all times and keep your eyes open to any uncomfortable situation you may be in. Look out for your friends and even strangers when witnessing a questionable situation.

21. Make time for the things you love.

This sounds really deep but in reality, its simple; lots of times, students get wrapped up in what they think they should be doing, but honestly you are able to incorporate your passions into your daily lives. Make time for whatever you enjoy doing -- you'll thank yourselves later.

22. Enjoy the year ahead of you, because time flies faster than you think.