22 Pieces Of Advice For The College Class Of '22, From Current College Students

"Don't give up quite yet."
1581

Being a high school senior is one of the most exciting yet intimidating times in someone's life. One door is about to close, but so many more are just about to open.

The college application and acceptance processes are when reality finally set in for me when I was a high school senior, and the nerves started really kicking in. High school seniors, have no fear, college really isn't as terrifying as some make it out to be.

Here are 22 pieces of advice about college from current college students that I wish someone told me when I was in your shoes.

1. "Don't give up quite yet." -Mollee, Freshman at King's College

2. "Make sure you have enough time throughout your day to study and read for at least an hour to avoid falling behind. Also, keep up on your work and readings for class so you don't feel overwhelmed once exams come around." - Sheridan, Sophmore at Misericordia University

3. "Don't take anything for granted. Things will change and you will become a completely different person - and that's okay." -Brianna, Freshman at Kutztown University

4. "Pick a college that will best suit your needs. For example, if you're someone who likes to ask questions in class, pick a college with smaller class sizes. If you aren't someone who doesn't need or like to ask questions, a larger college may be a better fit for you." -Abby, Freshman at Keuka College

5. "Don't settle on a college/University just because you meet some cool people who are also going there. People change, you change, pick a school for YOU, not anyone else!" -Julia, Sophomore at Bloomsburg University

6. "Graduation day will be here before you know it. Don't waste any time and take every opportunity given to you! And please go to your senior prom. Even if you think you won't, you'll regret not going." -Katarina, Sophomore at Bloomsburg University

7. "The people you were best friends with in high school may not be your friends once everyone goes off to college, and that's okay. Don't stress about things you can't change because you can't force anything. Your life is about to get so much better, I promise." -Danielle, Freshman at Bloomsburg University

8. "Have fun! Take lots of pictures because you will cherish them as you are missing home in the fall. Also, college isn't as scary as everyone says it is, just be nice." -McKensie, Freshman at Keystone College

9. "Learn how to manage your time wisely." -Karamvir, Freshman at Marywood University

10. "It can be intimidating to arrive on campus as a freshman knowing almost nobody, but just be yourself, and you'll make friends in no time at all." -Zach, Junior at Bloomsburg University

11. "Enjoy EVERY moment because you never seem to realize how much the little things in high school tend to mean the most in the end. From being with your best friends that you grew up with everyday to playing your favorite sport and or participating in your favorite activity. After you graduate, everyone parts ways and a new beginning is awaiting. Although you may be counting down to graduation, you’ll forever have the memories and experiences from high school that you could cherish and look back at for the rest of your life. You are close to closing one chapter of your life, which is where another one is waiting to be open to new experiences. College is a huge adjustment, though, but just stay calm and enjoy everything about it." -Jordan, Sophomore at Keystone College

12. "Have fun making memories with your family and friends while you are home, but do not slack off now. Acceptance letters and scholarships are going to mean so much more to you than you think. You’ve made it this far. Keep going and finish strong!" -Jesse, Freshman at Marywood University

13. "You're going to be nervous and think everyone is either looking at or judging you for being the 'new kid.' No one really cares, just do you. -Gianna, Freshman at Penn State University Worthington

14. "Don't over estimate your knowledge, or underestimate your capabilities. You'll think you know it all, and then you'll fail your first exam, however, you're still capable of pulling that C to an A. You're capable of amazing things you didn't know you were." -Jessie, Freshman at Elizabethtown College

15. "Don't be afraid to take risks. There are only so many chances you'll get to make real connections with people and if you're too shy, you're going to miss it. Also, don't be afraid to ask your professor about your work and don't be scared to ask for tutoring if you need it." -Joe, Freshman at Penn State University

16. "Enjoy the ride." -Ryan, Freshman at Bloomsburg University

17. "Do lots of research to find out what field you want to go into. You don't have to know specifics, but definitely pick a general area of study." -Jess, Freshman at Temple University

18. "Enjoy it. Regardless of if these last few days are your “golden days,” make the most of them. It’s the last time all of the people you grew up with will gather, whether you hate them or love them, try to cherish it, cut loose ends, find closure. Overall, just have fun and make memories that you can look back on when you’re older." -Dan, Freshman at Bloomsburg University

19. "Never be afraid to reach out for help in your classes. Go to your professor’s office hours and use your school’s tutoring services if it’s provided. It will help you so much in the long run, take advantage of what you can to help you flourish in your academics!" -Brooke, Sophomore at Bloomsburg University

20. "Try to stay focused as much as you can." -Sean, Freshman at Marywood University

21. "Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. Even if you think you'll make a fool of yourself, do it anyway and try something new. You have to make all new friends and create a whole new identity - it's a once in a lifetime chance so don't let it go to waste." -Karly, Freshman at Bloomsburg University

22. "There are people you haven't met yet who will love you more than those you have known your entire life. Everyone is just as nervous as you are about making friends, just be yourself and you'll be flourishing in no time at all. Also, your professors have office hours for a reason, go to them! Take advantage of all that your college/university has to offer, you don't want to look back on your time in college and be able to say "what if I did this?" or "I wish I did that." -Oriana, Freshman at Bloomsburg University