22 Things The Incoming Marist Freshmen Need To Know

Some helpful hints before move-in day.

704
Alexa Vuillemot

As back to school season rapidly approaches, recent high school graduates are gearing up and stocking up to make the transition into their freshman year of college. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of varying back to school shopping lists, but there are particular things exclusive to Marist College that our incoming freshmen need to know.

1. The rooms are small, but not as small as you think.

I'm sure that during your orientation housing tours you were given a brief little tour in each dorm building. With many people in the room, it can seem cramped, but you'd be surprised how spacious they actually can be. Don't worry about living inside of a shoebox for a year--you won't be.

2. Ladies, you need to wait until the spring semester to rush for any sororities.

While Marist isn't known for a prevalent Greek life, there are some sororities and fraternities on campus. I'm not positive about the frats, but I know that all sororities make you wait until the spring semester to rush. Take the fall semester to get acclimated and comfortable.

3. The dining hall has patterns.

Last spring, I really noticed the trends in the dining hall. Every Tuesday was Taco Tuesday at lunch, and there was also the Valley Café (which I will explain later), and all day Tuesday was the infamous Cupcake Tuesday. Wednesdays were Caprese Panini days, which you will definitely want to take advantage of. There may be different trends next year, but keep your eyes peeled!

Speaking of the dining hall...

4. Tuesdays are Valley Café Days!

Throughout the 2016-2017 academic year, every Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., there was a different option for food: the Valley Café. This break from normal Sodexo food varies every week, from Pasta Day to Carrot Day and everything in between. The food is absolutely amazing and no menu repeats twice in one year! All you have to do is use a meal swipe and ask for a ticket for the Valley Café at the registers by the Cab entrance, and you're good to go!

5. The elevators will be off during move-in day.

That's right, you read that correctly: in Leo and Champagnat Halls, and maybe even Midrise, the elevators will be inactive, which means you have to carry things up the stairs. Maybe save the heavier things for your parents' visits, unless it's a fridge or a microwave.

**Note: don't quote me on that though--I lived in Sheahan and moved in early, so I have no idea if the elevators worked or not. I had heard they did not so that's what I'm going on here.

6. Upperclassmen will help you move in.

While I don't have experience with this aspect of move-in day, as I was in band camp and had already moved in, upperclassmen are there to help you move in! Make sure your items are labeled with your name, residence hall, and your room number.

7. Those 8:00 a.m. classes aren't as bad as they seem.

Last semester, I had two 8:00 a.m. classes, and at first I was unhappy about it, but it really wasn't as bad as I had thought. Sure, it's early in the morning, but the campus is quiet at that time and everything seems so calm and peaceful.

Plus...

8. The dining hall opens weekdays at 7:15 a.m.

Worried about getting your breakfast before your early morning classes? Don't worry! The dining hall opens promptly at 7:15 a.m. every Monday through Friday. Hop in line for egg sandwiches, or grab a bagel or bowl of cereal to power up your brain before class.

9. The dining hall workers are mostly absolutely wonderful people.

The workers in the dining hall aren't your typical lunch ladies. Almost every worker there is cherished by our student body. You'll meet Antoinette at the egg line from 7:15 to 11:00 during the weekday mornings, Celso at the pasta station most weekdays during lunch, and Cheryl at the sandwich station! Trust me when I say you'll make great bonds with these happy, smiling people.

10. The egg line is godly.

Speaking of the amazing Antoinette, you'll definitely want to jump in the egg line every chance you get. Her eggs are one-of-a-kind, and she makes each sandwich with love. And if you're a regular, she'll have your order memorized. She makes the early morning wake-ups worth it, so make sure you pay her a visit during the weekdays!

11. Your first semester is the only semester that you earn priority points towards sophomore housing.

Housing Day falls in April of the spring semester, so the only chance you get to make those priorities count is during the fall semester. Join clubs, get good grades, and keep your room fairly clean, and you'll have more than enough priority points for great housing options!

12. You can rent a microwave and fridge through the school.

Instead of buying the fridge and microwave separately and having to lug the two up to the school, you can rent a MicroFridge unit through Marist. Learn how to rent it here. Of course, if you do want to buy the fridge and microwave, just make sure the fridge is no bigger than 3.6 cubic feet and the microwave is no more powerful than 700 watts.

13. The library closes at 2:00 a.m. from Sunday to Thursday and closes at 9:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

Whenever you need to pull an all-nighter trying to get your essays and assignments finished, the library is your go-to destination. Also, printing is free! The only thing that costs money is making copies in a copier, and even then it's not too bad.

14. The library is not the only place to study.

While it is one of the best places to go to get a lot of work done, the library can get packed pretty quickly at night and on weekends. Other places you can go are the student center, the Cabaret Lounge, your dorm lounges, or your room.

15. The 'freshman fifteen' is not a myth, and it likely will happen.

Try as you might to avoid it, you'll notice a weight gain during your first year of college. But don't worry, you're not alone. Nearly every freshman college student gains some amount of weight throughout their first year. If you're concerned, however, the gym is fairly close to the freshmen dorms.

16. Your GPA will not be the same as it was in high school, and the workloads are different.

Even if you took AP classes throughout high school, the work environment and workloads are completely different than how they were in college. Classroom policies are different for each professor, so make sure you read the syllabi to make sure you're familiar with each class's expectations!

17. Course registration is Hell in and of itself.

Okay, maybe I'm over exaggerating here, but it is a rough and stressful time. Once classes are listed, make sure you create at least two or three different schedules with the classes you want to take for the next semester. Registration is early in the morning, like 6:30 a.m., so be sure to set alarms! Good places to go register are Donnelly, and maybe the Student Center--the library will still be closed.

18. Talk to your advisor throughout the semester.

Your advisor will guide you on your path through college. They also are the person you need to see before you can register for classes since they have to take the hold off of your account.

19. The friends you make in the first semester are not necessarily who you'll be friends with during the second semester.

While you may be fortunate enough to keep those first semester pals, things happen and you branch out. If you lose some friends along the way, don't worry because you'll make new ones!

20. Broadway trip tickets cost only $25.

That's right! Three times per semester, the Student Programming Council offers tickets for a big name Broadway show, and tickets for the bus and show are only a small $25! That nets you nearly the whole day in the city, plus a Broadway show. The trips from last year were School of Rock, Something Rotten!, The Lion King, Aladdin, Waitress, and Book of Mormon.

21. It's better to under-pack than to overpack.

Trust me when I say that you do not need nearly as much as you think you might, especially when it comes to clothes. Pack less than you think you'll need unless your home is farther away than a two-hour drive. You can always ask your parents to ship something to you or to bring it up on their next visit.

22. You will have the time of your life.

No matter how bleak things may seem or however homesick you get, your first year at Marist will be absolutely incredible. You will make ever-lasting memories and form great friendships, and genuinely enjoy yourself. Marist will likely become your home-away-from-home, and once the spring semester ends, you won't be able to wait to come back in the fall.