21 Things The Women In My Family Have Taught Me

21 years of guidance, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

52
Taylor Pare

I'm 21! And just like that the world seems to have a different light to it and I'm fully aware of all the possibilities that are now at my finger tips.

But I don't want this to be about me, but instead about the women who have raised me for the past 21 years.Through given advice, lessons, encouragement, over heard discussions, and overall teachings, these little reminders have gone a long way and I will forever hold each one close.

1. Never limit your abilities

If you think you can do something, figure out how to do it. There will always be a way to get something done even if you have to ask for help.

2. Keep yourself busy

This will eliminate stress by doing or thinking of other things. Read a book, clean, go for a walk, go on trips, eat out of dinner. Each of these things are obtainable but will keep you busy.

3. But not busy enough to be absent

One thing that is crucial is to not be so self absorbed that you miss all the important parts in life with family and friends.

4. Forgive because you'll never be able to move forward otherwise

There's no point in holding on to something that happened 5 months ago if it no longer relevant in your life. Forgive, let go, and move on. Easy said than done but it can be done.

5. Be you

Be your wild and most positive self because that's what makes you shine. Have your moments of solidarity, but most of all, let others see who you truly are and not worry about what they think. If individuals talk behind your back, they don't get the privilege of being part of your crazy adventures.

6. Having fun keeps you happy

Go out and have a good time because this may be the only opportunity; tomorrow is a mystery. Always take advantage of the joyous moments, fore these will be the moments that will always last in memory.

7. Take care of your family

Family is the only things that will always remain. Do not take anyone in this particular group for granted. You are here for them and they are here for you. Do everything in your power to keep them happy... But in order to do, take care of yourself because you'll need your strength to pick them up.

8. Embarrassing moments make good stories

That time you climbed over a fence and got stuck at the top, not noticing the gate standing wide open right next to you... will make a great story 25 years later! These stories will live on forever because of how chaotic they sound and how embarrassed you still are from it.

9. Work hard to get where you want to be

Being where I am now is not because my parents or generations before them were privileged. Everyone had to work really really REALLY freaking hard to get where we are now. This stands for me and everyone else after me in my family. We want things in life, we will always have to work hard and give a full 120%.

10. Instincts matter, never ignore your gut feeling

That funny feelings in your stomach that is telling you "no," "do not attempt," or "do it" is there for a reason and should be ignored. Too many times have we ignored our little friend and of course it came to bite us in the butt. It could take a second to really understand our feelings but once it registers, it will pay off.

11. Everything happens for a reason

My mom and I live by this every day and say it to each other religiously. We both understand how everything that has happened previously in our lives has set us up to where we are now. That dinner we made together happened because we needed time together to talk about our day...

12. Words hurt

Too many times have we all said something that made others feel inferior; even if it was a simple joke. Anything that comes out of our mouths can become bullet and will ricochet through someones head until the end of time. "If you wouldn't like them to say it to you, don't say it to them."

13. The outfit you wore today won't be remembered tomorrow

If you wear the same pair of jeans twice a week or even the next day, no one is paying that much attention to you to notice. If they are, either obsessed with you or need a new hobby. Leave fashion police to Joan Rivers, please.

14. Don't go out if you can't take care of yourself

You're not going to be able to rely on other to always be there for you when you're out. Keep yourself aware and demonstrate composure. Momma' didn't raise a girly girl; stand your ground.

15. Little things matter the most

I've learned to appreciate the great things that people do unconsciously.

16. You can't let something small ruin your day

The strand of hair that keep sticking up is not something that should ruin your day. There are many things to be grateful for, instead of stressing that your hair isn't perfect since no one will notice anyway.

17. Eat what you little heart desires...

In moderation of course. That ice cream sitting in the freezer tempting you at 11 p.m. will not hurt if you take a spoon to it, just to kick the craving. You only have one life, take care of it but also treat yourself.

18. Stay humble

The whole world doesn't need to know your business. Act accordingly.

19. Stand up for what you believe in

First: Pick your battles. Second: Understand that not every one will agree. Third: If you think you can pull it off, go for it.

20. Being stubborn will never get you anywhere

Positive vibes, please. Stubbornness becomes more annoying than anything. There is a time and place to stand your ground, but for the little everyday situations, let it be and go with the crowd. It will be much easier that way and maybe it'll turn out to be great.

21. Do what you want to do

At the end of the day, this is the time to do what you want to do, make mistakes that will guide you through life, but also remember when you came from.