In less than a month, I'll be twenty-one. That's a little crazy to me. Life goes fast. But life has also taught me a lot in the past twenty-one years. So here are some things I have learned:

1. You are in control of your emotions.

Joy in life is based on God, not our own circumstances. You can still choose to have joy even on the worst day out there. Life has ups and downs but there is goodness that can be found throughout it all.

2. Always try to be the type of friend that you would want to have to those you love.

Pray for your friends and encourage them. Show them your support and brighten up their life.

3. It's good to have a thankful heart.

Find things to be thankful for every day. Each day is new and exciting. Find the little joys around you and be thankful for them.

4. You are never alone, no matter how much you think you are.

Crying behind closed doors and feeling like you're the only one facing this situation. Trust me. You aren't. You are not alone in this. You always have a friend even when you feel alone. Don't have anyone to talk to at the moment? Talk to God. He's a wonderful friend and a great listener.

5. Learn to really get to know a person before you have a lot of respect for them.

Don't have too much respect for people you don't know that well. Sometimes, they will end up disappointing you. Sometimes, they might actually be better than you thought. Be careful with who you put your trust in.

6. Social media can be your enemy or your friend.

Social media can be great to use when updating about your life to your friends or encouraging others, but don't let comparison and fame still your joy. Post what you want to post, for yourself, not to prove something to others.

7. Don't live to please others.

If someone does something that you don't like, don't let them walk all over you. Stand up for yourself and what you believe in.

8. Everyone looks different.

Everyone has different hair, a different body shape, different eyes, etc. Learn to accept your body and don't compare yourself to others, cause you are not them and they are not you.

9. Don't waste your time on people that don't deserve it.

Don't waste a lot of your time, energy, patience, and kindness on people who are cruel to you. Not everyone will like you and that's okay.

10. Everyone's story is different.

Everyone has a different timeline. Some people will get married way before you, and others will get married way after you. Enjoy your story and your timeline and don't stress about the timeline of others.

11. Don't believe everything you see.

We try to put our best self out there for others to see. A lot of people really do care so much about their reputation. Don't always believe what others put out there until you get to know them and see how they are in person. They aren't always the person they seem to be. Nobody's perfect.

12. Not all of the friendships you have are the same, and they aren't suppose to be.

Don't compare your friends cause they are all different and your relationship is different with all of them. Some friendships stay and some go away, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just life.

13. Take care of yourself.

Make sure that caring for yourself is a top priority. If you don't feel good, then it's hard to give to others. Take care of your physical, emotional, and mental health everyday.

14. Laugh more.

Laughter is the best medicine so laugh a lot, smile frequently, and let joy permeate you from head to toe.

15. You are your worst enemy.

Be kind to yourself and start loving yourself more. Look at how far you have come and be proud of that journey.

16. No rain, no flowers.

It's okay to take an L some days. No rain, no flowers. God won't give ya something that you can't handle.

17. You are never too old for Disney.

You are never too old to watch Disney movies from when you were younger. I like to pretend I'm a kid again watching them for the first time just like old times.

18. You are who you're friends with.

Be wise in who you hang out with. If they aren't people you want to be like, find some friends that are.

19. Don't purposely start drama.

Sometimes things can blow wayyy out of proportion and if you involve more people, it can get even worse. Talk with the person you are having issues with and open up so you can resolve it all.

20. Being single is perfectly fine.

It's okay to be single. It's okay to not have a date to the party. In fact, sometimes it's better! Enjoy yourself and enjoy being single. It's not called "sad". It's called "loving to spend time with yourself".

21. Actions can speak louder than words.

If you don't know what to say, then show it. Hug others. Smile at others. Hold the door for others. Be a shoulder to cry on when someone needs it. Love others and pass it on.