21 Things I’ve Learned In My 21st Year Of Life

Easily the most transformative year of my life.

8
Photo by Levi Guzman on Unsplash

Twenty-one was a year of changes and a year of growth and a lot of whiskey.

1. Friendship's aren't always meant to last forever and that's okay! Appreciate those relationships for what they are while they last. 

2. There really is a Taylor Swift song for everything and with "Lover," she proved even more that she will always write the soundtrack to my life. 

3. Never let anyone invalidate your feelings — feel things completely and thoroughly.  

4. Being politically active in this climate is THE most important thing. Vote. March. Protest. We can not have a repeat of 2016 in 2020. 

5. Eating completely vegan once or twice a week makes a difference. Not even just for the environment, but also for your health and energy level. 

6. Make an "If I go missing" folder. Crime is a reality and it's scary, so we need to protect our selves. Make it easier on the people that would be looking for you and lay out your life in a document on your computer and share with one trusted person. 

7. Don't drink Bacardi. Just don't do it. You will fall off a deck and you will break your ankle. 

8. Having casual sex is okay! It's okay to have that relationship with someone as long as you're clear about what it is. 

9. No matter how strong your feelings are for someone, if they are in a relationship it's off limits. It's not fair to the other person in the relationship to have you come in and try to wreck things. 

10. Really appreciate moments. Completely live in them and take a million photos regardless of what others day. 

11. Living offline is so good for your psyche. But so is being connected to the people you love the most online. Find Balance. 

12. There are people that are pure evil in this world. Don't ignore red flags. Don't excuse Bbd behavior. 

13. Bill Hader is an actor from another planet. Period. 

14. Life is so short. It can end at any moment and losing Cameron Boyce taught this generation that better than anything. Hug the people you love. 

15. Befriending or dating someone who is racist, sexist or homophobic makes you those things as well. You are excusing that and submitting to it. You can't separate morals and pretend they don't exist. 

16. You can live sustainable without being 100% vegan or 100% zero waste. You don't have to go all in to start or even at all, if everyone did a little the impact would be astronomical. 

17. Being single is for me. I thrive the best alone when I can do what I want and be who I want without anyone trying to change me. I don't have to want a relationship. 

18. Putting myself, my needs and wants first is what I should be doing. There is nothing wrong doing that and anyone who makes me feel bad for thinking of myself first should try it for themselves. 

19. What other people think of you isn't your business. Live your best life like no one is watching. 

20. Traveling is the thing that makes me the most fulfilled. Especially to Vancouver — I will live there one day. 

21. It's okay that I enjoy drinking and going to bars. I don't have to spend my nights playing scrabble and raising a kid, I'm young and can have fun. Guilt free fun.