21 Things I've Learned In My 21 Years

21 Things I've Learned In My 21 Years

It's just a bad day, not a bad life.

673
21 Things I've Learned In My 21 Years
Brie Garcia

This week, on the 29th of November, I am turning 21 years old (!!) To celebrate, I am reflecting on a few of the things I’ve learned during my 21 revolutions around the sun.

1. Not everyone is going to like you.
  2. You can’t please everyone with the decisions you make. Learning and accepting this fact was for me a major step towards self-acceptance and the importance of self-love. As long as I’m happy with my life choices, and not hurting anyone in the process, then that is all that truly matters at the end of the day.

3. People are going to hold different opinions, worldviews, and beliefs than you.
  4. As long as she or he is genuinely a good person and has a good heart, not much else matters and you should consider that person a friend. I think if more people acknowledged the good in others, this world would be a much happier place.

5. Your mindset is so important.
  6. As a collegiate football coach, my dad has always instilled in me the importance of having good thoughts and positive self-talk, but it has taken a long time for me to realize that what you think is what you become.

7. There is little in the world that cannot be made better by a nap and some hot chocolate.
  8. Self-care is so important, and I highly encourage you to take some time for yourself once in awhile when you begin to feel overwhelmed by events in your life.

9. You can never go wrong with lighting a nice-smelling candle.
  10. *Cue instant calm*.

11. You can also never go wrong with watching an episode of The Office, Seinfeld, Friends, or Gilmore Girls.
  12. You are never too old to cuddle with your mom.
  13. Also, speaking of moms, you are still never too old to vent to your mom about your problems.
  14. That’s why we have moms, because they are our real life superheroes!

15. Pay attention to your dad when he tells you the importance of car maintenance, or you will be stuck at a gas station trying to remember how to put air in your tire.
  16. (Love you, Dad!)

17. Call your grandparents, and spend time with them, even if you are just sitting with them.
  18. They won’t be around forever, and they will truly enjoy the quality time with you.

19. Sometimes you need to spend the whole day in sweats and watching movies.
  20. Just don’t make it an everyday thing.

21. Working out is important, not just your physical health but also for your mental health.
  22. Also, make it fun! You won’t want to continue working out if you don’t love how you’re working out, find what works for you!

23. Having a significant other is not the most significant thing in your life.
  24. You have the rest of your life to be in a relationship.

25. Life is not going to go according to plan. Be flexible, and be willing to accept changes.
  26. Quality over quantity when it comes to friends, pizza, and hair products.
  27. Minimalism can be life-changing. When I made the conscious decision to live life simply, my life totally changed for the better.
  28. For those interested in Minimalism, I recommend the documentary Minimalism on Netflix.

29. Washing your sheets and towels regularly is a must, and your skin will thank you.
  30. Nothing is more important than family. At the end of the day, they are the ones who will always have your back.
  31. Make up is nice, but it is not a necessity.
  32. You are beautiful just the way you are, despite what makeup ads may tell you.

33. Alcohol is cool, but it is not vital for life or fun.
  34. You’re not weird if you don’t like it or don’t see the point in consuming it at social events or ever.

35. It’s just a bad day, not a bad life.