21 Fun Facts About The 21 Spanish Speaking Countries Of The World

Happy National Hispanic Heritage Month!

2067

EL SALVADOR

Education up to ninth grade is free in the country.

MEXICO 

Mexico has 68 official languages.

SPAIN

Spain produces over half of the world's olive oil.

COLOMBIA

Colombia is the world's leading source of emeralds and its coffee is world-renown.

ARGENTINA

By land area, Argentina is the 2nd largest country in South America and the 8th largest country in the world.

PERU

Peru contains the second largest segment of the Amazon rainforest after Brazil.

VENEZUELA

The world's tallest waterfall, Angel Falls, is located in Venezuela.

CHILE

The national sport of Chile is Rodeo which is still very popular in rural areas of the country.

ECUADOR

Charles Darwin developed his Theory of Coral Atolls in the Galapagos Islands.

GUATEMALA

The first-ever chocolate bar was invented in Guatemala during the Mayan times.

CUBA

The game of dominoes is extremely popular in Cuba.

BOLIVIA 

Bolivia is home to the Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats. Check it out.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

The capital of the Dominican Republic–Santo Domingo–is the oldest city in the new world.

HONDURAS

The five stars on the Honduran flag represent the five countries of Central America.

PARAGUAY

Paraguay is a bilingual nation: Guaraní is its first language and Spanish, it's second.

NICARAGUA

The oldest city in Central America is the Ruins of Leon Viejo, Nicaragua which is over 1500 years old.

COSTA RICA

Costa Rica hosts more than 5% of the world's biodiversity even though its landmass only takes up .03% of the planet's surface.

PANAMA

Panama is the only place in the world where you can see the sun rise on the Pacific and set on the Atlantic.

URUGUAY

Uruguay's national anthem, which lasts more than five minutes, is the world's longest in performance duration.

PUERTO RICO

Puerto Rico competes individually in the Olympics each year and they have won six medals total.

EQUATORIAL GUINEA

It is the only country in Africa to have Spanish as an official language.

September 15th to October 15th is a national Hispanic Heritage Month. I believe that a fun way to explore how diverse and amazing Hispanic Heritage is could be by finding a fun fact about each of the Spanish speaking countries. I think sometimes people generalize about cultures different than their own, like Hispanic and Latine culture. By showing a little factoid about each different country, it shows how each country has a unique culture.

I hope you find a fun way to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month and I hope you found these facts interesting!