21 Lessons, Quotes And Confessions In 21 Years

And some random thoughts.
10

Next Monday, I will be turning 21. It's a big age for a lot of young people and I am very excited. Not about drinking but about another milestone in my young life. So in honor of this special occasion, I am going to give you 21 life lessons, quotes, confessions, and random things that pop into my head. Enjoy!

1. "Every day above ground is a good day."

I'm gonna start off a little deep here. But honestly, this is a very important thing to remember. It is so easy to dwell on the bad things in life and to be sad all the time. But sometimes you have to make a conscious decision to be happy. I'm not discounting mental health or trying to tell people that they can just think their way out of depression, but this is for people who chose to dwell in the bad. Who never have anything positive to say even when their lives are going extremely well. If you feel personally attacked, I'm talking to you. Your life is good, no it's great and you have love in your life even if it's just from yourself so stop being so negative.

2. Fear = False. Evidence. Appearing. Real.

Fear is not real. There are things you should be cautious of like wild animals that are known for eating people. Or that feeling in your gut when you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, there are some things you should not be afraid of. Like talking to someone. Or doing something for yourself. This is something I struggle with because of social anxiety, but I also don't want my fears to keep me from living my life. Fear can keep you from meeting people and moving forward with your life. It's not always easy to do something new. I know from experience, but if each day you move a little closer to stepping out of your comfort zone you might just do things that surprise even yourself.

3. Being woke is exhausting.

I've been "woke" for a long time. Like a long time. And it has worn on my for years. In my 21 years, I have somehow managed to form the opinion that all people should be equal regardless of sex, race, gender, sexuality, religion, etc. It's a pretty simple thing yet it has caused the most problems in our society today. It baffles me that I seem to know more about being a decent human being than people who have been on this planet longer than I have. It's beyond ridiculous. Some people are sleep walking so they think they are awake but they are not and some people are just asleep. Wake up, people!

4. I get scared easily.

One time I watched a person walk into a room and then turned my back. That same person walked up behind me... and I screamed. To this day I will never understand that. It's embarrassing and I'm embarrassing

5. I've never left the country.

Matter of fact I've only been to a hand handful of states in this country. I want to travel really badly and I am going to make it happen sometime within the next 21 years of my life.

6. "Promise me you'll always remember...

... You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

7. I've watched the remake of Dirty Dancing several times after stating I didn't like it.

And I've judged myself every single time.

8. This list is long.

I'm not even halfway through and I'm like... Girl, no one wants 21 things. If you make it to 21, you deserve a prize.

9. I only eat in even numbers.

I like even numbers. I will count out candy, fries, anything to make sure it is even.

10. I am obsessed with peanut butter.

I would eat it on a plane. I would eat it on a train. I would eat it on a spoon. As a matter of fact I usually do... and now I really want some so I probably should not have started talking about it.

11. "To Laugh at yourself is to Love yourself." - Mickey Mouse.

Well, I must REALLY love myself.

12. "Live a life that makes the younger version of yourself and the older version of yourself proud." - Melissa Mitchem

I want to look back on my life and know that I lived it to the fullest. I want to make the younger me and older me proud. That is my ambition in life. All the other stuff is just the way that I'm going to do it. This life motto keeps me going because I remember the little girl who had big dreams, and I can't wait to meet the mature woman who has achieved them.

13. I can't whistle.

I've never been able to. I've tried several times but nothing... It's annoying. But I would only use whistling for annoying purposes, so it's probably best that I can't.

14. Is it just me...

Or do other people get dressed up and do their make-up and then try to take a selfie but the face they see in the mirror does not match the one they see on the phone. I mean it could be a conspiracy or something but I'd like it to stop.

15. "Life is a journey to be experienced not a problem to be solved." - Winnie the Pooh.

And when you allow it to be a journey. When you forgive yourself and learn from your bad choices. When you accept that there are things beyond your control and help to shape the things that are, you will find that you're a lot happier. It doesn't mean everyday will be perfect because that's not realistic, but everyday can be an adventure.

16. My favorite store is Forever 21...

Very fitting I know... but seriously I love this store. I have on several occasion wore an entire outfit, I'm talking head to toe, from this store. If they sold underwear that I could fit, I wouldn't shop anywhere else. That might have been too much information but whatever.

17. Seriously if you'd made it this far email me... You get a prize.

Just kidding don't do that. But know that I am extremely grateful for your dedication.

18. Don't take everything so seriously.

Clearly I don't from the lackluster way this article is put together, but honestly, this goes back to the journey thing. Laughter is essential to sanity. I truly believe that. This being said if you have a 10-page paper due, take that seriously. Or if something is actually serious... you get the point. The small things in life though, don't pay them any attention.

19. I've never been in love.

At least not with a person. I've fallen in love with music and movies. With writing and laughter, but not a boy yet. I guess my heart is waiting for the right soul to connect with.

20. "If you weren't you, then we'd all be a bit less we." - Piglet

I read this quote and thought it was so beautiful. Who you are and what makes you you, you're dynamic in certain relationships can shape other peoples behaviors. Relish in the unique qualities you have and cherish the unique qualities of others. I love learning peoples idiosyncrasies because we all have them and they are apart of what makes an individual just that.

21. "Don't just Fly, SOAR!" - Dumbo

This is for me and you. It's motivation. No matter what you are doing, make sure it is your best. Don't half do anything. You'll appreciate it more when you give it your all and so will everyone else. SOAR everyone I know you can.