2020 So Far: A journal entry

2020 So Far: A journal entry

2020 is only halfway over and has already become such a historic year

7
2020 So Far: A journal entry

I think it is safe to say no one expected our world to be flipped upside down after we celebrated New Year's and started making our 2020 goals, travel plans, and work destinations. Personally, I was enjoying my third year at ASU, working at my student newspaper, and looking forward to the list of concerts I had scheduled for the year.

Working for the school paper always has its perks and scary moments. I remember the day we announced there was a case of COVID-19 at ASU. This news broke on January 26, 2020. It was one of the first known cases of the virus in the United States. The next day, masks, sanitizers and more sold out at local stores.

ASU students rushed to sign a petition that said we should not have school for a while in an effort to prevent the spread. As time went on, the national, local and global news coverage on the virus grew. I remember sitting on our second-floor forum watching Wolf Blitzer talk about the newly confirmed cases in Seattle. I had a bad feeling and became nervous as did many others.

I am thankful that once our school announced its first closure due to COVID-19, I was already at home due to spring break, however, it did suck to have all of my clothes and belongings in a different state.

I, along with students around the world, had to finish our semesters at home on Zoom. It was a new form of learning, but it protected us all from the spiraling spread of the virus. Now, this seems like forever ago, doing my Mass Communication Law class online twice a week and watching the news to hear the latest about the virus. People getting more scared and clearing stores out.

It's so interesting to think about now how hard it was to fathom the mass spread of the virus at first. More cases were confirmed and sporting seasons were postponed, restaurants closed, and stay at home orders given. It is heartbreaking to see the confirmed cases and death rates go up around the world.

Once school ended, my student newspaper did as well, giving me more time to work with The Odyssey and do more things at home. I couldn't help but think about what a historical time period we are living through as the Black Lives Matter protest made global coverage.

Now, it is nearly July and businesses are starting to close down again after a rise of cases in many areas. Activism, social justice, politics, and health standards are all at prominent heights right now. An election is approaching, and the world is adjusting to new norms that could last years.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the year pans out. Hopefully, cases decrease, and we are able to prevent the spread and death rates. Until then, be safe and follow health guidelines!