2018: The Year Of The Dog

2018: The Year Of The Dog

It's time we adopt some of the traits of our most beloved fur-babies, and what better timing than the Chinese Year of the Dog.

83
2018: The Year Of The Dog
Berkay Gumustekin

In recent years, the popularity of dogs has sky-rocketed, especially in regards to social media accounts. Dogs now have Instagrams, twitters, snapchats, etc. I even have an Instagram account for one of my dogs. Why is this? Because dogs consistently make people happy just by being their loving selves. Just looking at a picture of a dog can instantly brighten anyone's day. Plus, our little angels never fail to greet us with wagging tails and slobbery kisses every single time we come home.

They manage to routinely make us feel loved and special. Dogs are the most precious creatures to grace this planet, and we should acknowledge this and adopt some of the characteristics of our loving canines as 2018 is their year. That's right, welcome to the Chinese Year of the Dog.

Their platform.

Whether you are scrolling through Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or Snapchat, one thing is guaranteed: your feed will be laden with adorable, furry faces belonging to the world’s most precious species.

Heart-melting content.

As of 2018, the United States comes in at number one for the country with the most dogs at 69,929,000. This makes sense as in recent years, social media has exploded with accounts dedicated to our furry family members, making dogs more popular pets overall.

The love for these extraordinary canines does not stop at U.S. borders, people from all over the world have taken to the internet to give their dogs the fame and attention they deserve. Posts range from videos to pictures to gifs. Each post is unique and has its own way of melting your heart. Content varies from dogs walking themselves, walking each other, eating, falling asleep while standing, running into things, playing in the snow, and most importantly loving on their owners and fellow furry friends.

From internationally acclaimed Twitter accounts such as @weratedogs to the wildly popular and awe-inducing Instagram accounts such as @thedogist, dogs are making their climb, and the world is a better place for it.

What does the Year of the Dog even mean?

On a more literal platform, the Chinese Year of the Dog brings loyalty, honesty, kindness, and love. They describe dogs as animals that “just need a quiet life and a good family and, therefore, [they] forget the ugliness and evil on Earth.” Furthermore, “dogs are always ready to help others and do not care about their own interests,” making them some of the most selfless creatures.

Real-life application.

During a time when our nation is so torn apart and separated, we could seriously benefit from adopting some traits of the dog. Let us put others before ourselves. Let us keep quiet when our words will do no good. Let us love other people for who they are. Let us not criticize, point fingers, or try to change the unique diversity that our country is blessed to have. Let us forget the evilness in the world, and create an environment that is worthy of our dogs.

Embrace the Year.

According to Chinese zodiac legend, 2018 is the perfect year to start eating healthier, exercising, and ridding your life of bad habits. So, if you let your New Year’s resolution die this year, this is your second chance! Embrace the year of the dog, and make it your most healthy, prosperous year yet.